It's a shame we [Indian actors] haven't been given the opportunity to well, you know, Wes is doing really good. Suddenly, surprisingly, Alice gives a look to her sister and jumps off after him. Everything just soars in it. Mostly it was an hour and a half long sprint! RM F6FR3M - RELEASE DATE: Aug 26, 1992. AMERICAN HISTORICAL SIMULATIONS on our Book Store page. ES: If I'm not working, yep! Support Indian Country Today for as little as $10. Lifting weights for 3 or 4 hours, or drinking that funny milkshake with all those proteins in it. He is a film critic and writes the #NativeNerd column. Besides that, North Carolina is Does he realize war and violence do really take place, even though we are "not born to hate each other"? effects - without our expressed, written permission, constitutes copyright MP: It seems sort of a bad time for a love scene anyway at that stage of the filming. A lot of these people are among your biggest fans, which is why many of them came to our web site in the first place. Would it be as you just described .. to retake possession of them? and I get with her and we start scrapping about this and that and he shoots me dead. He was just a guy. So I told everybody from the beginning. [Laughs] He was just You know what? How would you compare the role to others you've played? But after practicing, after a RIGHTS RESERVED - Use of material elsewhere - including text, images, and And if he could magnify that with a damned megaphone, he was happy as hell. How is he different from them? Because, since that is their national sport, the Mohawks, and it has been for hundreds of years, they should've focused on that and made a REALLY big deal out of it. I lived in Toronto, which is right next to the Six Nations reserve. So, it it is somewhat difficult to have to knock his words. ES: Yeah, THE INDIAN. They could either. because they'll wind up either dead or in jail. MP: Do you remember what scene you were filming? If you want to turn things around, maybe children are where you need to do it. But people still, especially kids who have this .. it changes the way they see things. their heart.. and it's pretty wild to watch them do these kind of things.. We'll have them over for barbecues and things like that and I'll let them do improvisation with each other. That's no lie either. All of this stuff is a direct connection between that and Blackstone and a lot of these topics come up in Blackstone. It looks like this interview was written very tongue in cheek, so don't take everything too seriously. ES: Yes, I have You know who that was? Accessibility or. ES: Yeah, they were plowing, they had to use bulldozers to get out to some of the sets, and 4 x 4s. Also the music by Daniel Lanois, a French-Canadian composer. E: Yes, with the Indians. I don't know. GATHERINGS || Even Daniel did. it's getting much better here. What did you guys feel, or you personally, when you were filming those scenes? LINKS Not Chimney Rock was that Chimney Rock? They were the stars so they acted accordingly. Eric Schweig. It will be cool because it will be the first time I'll be on a set and.. abstaining. So, anything contemporary, it doesn't matter. We realize many of you are huge Eric Schweig fans. EARLY Master Carver Eric Schweig (Ray Dean Thrasher) learned under the tutelage of renowned Tahltan carver Vern Etzerza. First, how were you chosen for the role of Uncas? That, perhaps, is petty stuff. Usually they paved the way so we didn't have much of a problem. That's one of the nicest small towns I've ever been in. As a former foster child himself, he knows all too well the obstacles that youth can face when growing up in care. It was a really good script and a good concept. I like to hang out with my friends. MP: Have you had any contact with her since filming LOTM? MP: We've read that you have been involved in a children's drama group. They found around 300 copperhead snakes and it took quite awhile to build the thing. Mohawks all over the place! It wasn't too heavy. EARLY She was pretty nice, Jodhi's mom. That's Enjoy! I: Where there any significant problems with the movie? I don't believe I: Firstly, I have to say that I enjoyed your role in Mohicans very much and I thought the film was excellent! Schweig plays Andy Fraser, the chief of the fictional Blackstone First Nations tribe alongside an award-winning ensemble cast that includes Gemini winning actor Michelle Thrush, Gemini nominee Carmen Moore and others. With funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, CRESST researchers conducted a multi-year evaluation of a major school reform project at Alain Leroy Locke High School, historically one of California's lowest performing secondary schools. Rather spontaneously, a gathering of LOTM fans has been planned. MESSAGE BOARD, STOREFRONTS! an Inuit duo! the real, well .. you see these gang bangers running around blasting each other to smithereens because they think it's cool.. because that's what you do. MP: Would you describe yourself as a private person? EARLY Should you instead be seen simply as an individual who has chosen acting as a profession? We were talking about some of your films and I wanted to ask you about Red River, which has received a lot of attention. What else? ADOPTION SPEECH DELIVERED BY ERIC SCHWEIG, An oldie, but goodie 1992 ERIC SCHWEIG INTERVIEW. ES: Yeah, that's. see, this is almost right on the money. He was one of the leaders of the 70-day siege at Wounded Knee in 1973, an incident which arose out of an AIM dispute with federal and tribal authorities. They both have the same kind of drive so it was pretty funny. Things usually turn out if you do it that way. So, should we start a letter writing campaign? If you're ever in Asheville, there's a guy that ran the restaurant downstairs from the hotel. The more the merrier. ES: Yes! ignorance. You know what? Available - Free Downloads Only! MP: Have you remained in contact with either one? but you couldn't cradle it as well. He didn't socialize. Things got ugly sometimes and I don't sit around like some of these lap dogs. I was raised in the country so, you know, I didn't have any it didn't bother me in the least. Those guys running around in the wool were so uncomfortable. We trained with Colonel David Webster [pause] I think that was his last name. He was somewhat reticent, probably because of the time lapse, about the answers, and everybody does that well, basically as human beings we know the difference between right and wrong. People from all over the world. Faye Marie. ES: Yes. Personal use on your own home PC is permissible! We have to take advantage of this because it's gonna burn out, they're gonna flog the shit out of it and then there's gonna be nothing." Just HUGE games. ES: Yeah, all up and down there; all over here. I've read a couple of scripts that were on the money. You're always poor. Vincent Schilling, Akwesasne Mohawk, is the associate editor and senior correspondent at Indian Country Today who enjoys creating media, technology, comics, and movies. infringement! Have you seen the movie? What am I doing working in the movies? Yeah, probably the Magua scrap was my favorite. When Dances With Wolves came out, the whole thing, it just blew the doors wide open for period pieces about Indian people. MP: As far as roles go; is there any particular type of film you would like.. or any particular character you would want to play? I think it's called Across Continents, something like that, but it's [picture of the mask] right on the cover of it. ES: Yeah. They put them in. You know the difference between Indian elders and a lot of other elders? Was it meant to be like that? ES: Well, as long as it doesn't come over this way! Eric was forthcoming and, we believe, candid in his responses; gracious, and willing to discuss everything we asked. before it was a tad more difficult than we'd anticipated. He'd rap with the extras and . anybody who was around. Even in the 70s, or the 80s . the early 80s. Eric Schweig has spoken freely about his alcoholism. Before that I had no idea what they were doing up there. ES: Oh, probably Tom & Huck. a couple of days and then meet the director, I guess. He interjects things, seemingly out of nowhere, which had little to do with the question, leading one to suspect there was an agenda waiting to spew forth. it to them. On the featurette that is included with the THX video, you say something to the effect that director Michael Mann has created a monumental work. E: Something like that. it's not that big a deal whether they're historically correct or not because they never can be. He's pretty likeable. People either love it or they hate it and that's what you want. ES: Yeah. Uhm hmm. They scratched the money together and made T-shirts. ES: Well, you know, it's a period piece. They're very well He opens up about the joys and challenges of being a new foster caregiver to two siblings. Where are you? But it is hard hitting and touches on all of the socioeconomic problems that we have on the reserves. I can't remember. But it was us, except going over the waterfalls. I: Have you seen the whole film unedited? I was born in Inuvik NWT in 1967 and moved south to Ontario with my adoptive family in the early 70s. E: I've just finished this thing in Atlanta, Georgia, maybe two months ago, called Shenandoah. E: I think they wanted that, but the height did come into it. Did he really think the movie would "stink"? Or do you instead allow your own mood, your color preferences .. that sort of thing, to blend with tradition and then the result being a unique Rick, I think. The Indian guys were okay. He is of mixed race ( Inuvialuk, Chippewa - Dene and German). have been because they had aged so much and the paint had flaked off. it was aged down, but we just took a shot at it and it turned out wicked. If he is going to have all his hair there, then we should, too!" We love his portrayal of Uncas. MP: Okay.. again, regarding art.. a strong quality of any artist's work is the individuality of their creations. I: There is a very soft, subtle love story between you and Alice. Tell us about Andy Fraser, the character you're playing. And the colors. the picture that was taken of this mask, the colors were a bit off. ES: Yes, I'd rather be seen as an individual who chooses acting as a profession. Return To Part 1 Of ERIC SCHWEIG: AN INTERVIEW, See Eric As Uncas, From The DVD-version: UNCAS & ALICE, A cause dear to his heart, read: ES: Yeah, it's a drag man, our children usually wind up paying the price for society's sins. Deidre phoned me up and told me . it's a contemporary thing where I play a sheriff. He was in Columbia, SC at a conference called "Calling All Colors" at the American Indian Center of South Carolina He went to talk to kids about Turning Anger into Art. I: Was it all shot outdoors or were there any indoor shots, i.e., like the cabin scene? E: No, I haven't. Over near Lake James. I was adopted at six months of age. Hollywood for many years, echoed public perception and stereotyped the culture. ES: He's more meticulous, he's a perfectionist to the power of 10. That's who they should be chasing but they don't. Guide book STILL They reminded me of me. Born: June 19th 1967 Height: 6'2 Weight: 210lbs Eyes: brn Hair: blk Marital Status: none Heritage/Tribe: Inuit/German country: Canada MP: Throughout the film there is featured some terrific landscapes. I: Do you think European women would have been able to stand such a life style? SOUNDTRACK || It was incredible. Thanks, Eric. E: I think it was a mix. Yeah, you know, I am a good guy. it's burnt out. Since we came upon, posted, and discussed the above interview, both here and on the WWW Board, we have had the good fortune to be able to talk with Eric Schweig directly. But I made the bottom of the mask protrude a little bit more. He's pretty intense. unless they start writing scripts about contemporary things. Interviewing is something we hadn't done We chose to post them on this site because a great deal of it is relevant to the making of the movie and we felt most of you would be interested in reading it. It'll probably never happen, but if it came around, I would. Etzerza, who has been Eric's carving "guru"; in previous conversations Eric has said Vern and he have known each other a long time and he considers Vern to be one of his best buddies. We could work out something. Interesting as the article may be, it is so wrought with errors of fact, and of assumption, that it's hard to determine WHERE to begin. So. you know, we've got to take advantage of it and they'll have nothing left short of Last of the Dog Men which is a ludicrous concept for a film about [Laughs] In case people liked ours better! MP: As you know, our web site centers on The Last of the Mohicans. MP: Are the original masks, the ones you are recreating are they in museums in Russia? Senility is a social disease. I: How did you get on with the rest of the cast: Daniel Day-Lewis, Jodhi May and Russell Means? We don't have all of the character actors that we need, we don't have bad guys, we don't have comedians, and we don't have the bodies to fill all of the positions. And it's really hard, I guess it's hard, I've never been a parent, but it'd be hard to differentiate your child's freedom and their safety. discussing The Last of the Mohicans, but became extremely animated when talking about certain topics, particularly his masks and his involvement in a children's drama group. And I have to say that out of all the cast members, I think you gave a fine performance and we wanted to interview you primarily. It's everybody's favorite spot. MP: I know you've had experience framing houses. ES: Yeah, they couldn't have two different love stories going on at once. I really like it and I love shopping there. HISTORY || MP: Alice, played by Jodhi May, was obviously your love interest. I broke the cycle by not drinking and finding out what I'm NOT. Eric Schweig and Arye Gross in "Big Eden." Out gay filmmaker Thomas Bezucha has a new film, "Let Him Go," now out in theaters. Ex mercenaries that have seen and done horrible things decide to retire and open up a used car lot. trains action stars in the use of different tactical weapons. Nothing like that . Was she just a pleasant observer or. ES: Yeah. And I said, "If you want to be historically correct in this movie, you must realize that the clans back then would adopt this young white baby and we grew up with him. They'll get a kick out of that. Ava Burnett. I love. I spent thousands of dollars at the Asheville Mall. MP: He's got quite a reputation for really getting into his roles. MP: The scenes filmed at Cameron's Cabin; you've got the night scene when you guys gather around the table, then the next day when the Lt. is trying to recruit colonials to support the British Army, and then later on, when you guys revisit the cabin and I: Do you think it's promoting your career in the way you would like it to? [Laughter]. Your character, Hawkeye, and Chingachgook. there seemed a sense of family. Do you see yourself as having an empathy with these kids, since you've walked in their shoes? It was really hard to get that damn ball. If there was a young boy who could not keep his hands off his father's or uncles' hunting implements and then he whined when they went out hunting, chances were that thats what he wanted to do. We have seen your work and it's beautiful. Born in Canada's Northwest Territories and of Inuvialuit lineage, Schweig was adopted into an abusive family as a baby and suffered under their treatment until, at age 16, he ran away to Toronto.. Apparently they're shooting in Washington State. MP: That's interesting because from your viewpoint you look at Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe as the stars, but for other people, you're one of the stars. you think, but I didn't see any women there well, a few, but there were GUYS everywhere, but no women. If they were good sticks .. it was kind of a bummer .. it would've been a better game. I wouldn't I'm not an Indian actor. We actually talked them out of that! A war between blue coats and Indians. Stars: Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, Misha Collins, Alexander Calvert, Sarah Troyer, Jonathan Cherry, Eric Schweig Writer: Davy Perez, series created by Eric Kripke Director: Nina Lopez-Corrado . In Although I was forcibly detached from my Inuit culture I always knew I was Inuit in my heart and I knew I had a real mother somewhere. I'll do it. Just a cop. Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe were THE couple so they couldn't take away from them because that was the main interest. Teile diese Show mit deinen Freunden. This may be bad energy but it is energy nonetheless and that is power. E: Pretty good, thank you! It's become a horrible reality. Who is Eric Schweig? Director: David Winning | Stars: Kevin Sorbo, Tom Sizemore, Aleks Paunovic, Ami Dolenz 2. I love Asheville. EARLY All the sets all the scenes a thousand extras at any given time running all over the place. The scenes the way it was shot. Just go ahead and tell me how you feel about that. It's so big. MP: True. I: Some of the scenes, especially in the canoes - was that really you guys? E: Well, they are using real Indians now. It's kind of difficult.. You see a lot of, well, I infringement! That's how it has to be; even Freddy Krueger was the bastard son of 1000 maniacs. Making it more subtle? That's what I like to see. You have to sit down and focus. You know, Robert DeNiro and Val Kilmer didn't go out to the closest available reservation and give him an eagle feather oh, sorry, Al Pacino didn't give him an eagle feather to join his division downtown in Los Angeles. ES: Yeah. ES: First of all, sober as a judge. MP: And if the opportunity arose, and it was a role you liked, would you work with him again? Madeleine Stowe. With the village? We invite your comments on our comments, or on the interview, on the It is hard to do this if someone is not interested in itmind, body and soul. Either your adopted or your natural family? I didn't know the Russians, the Europeans, came from the west coast. MP: What did you think of her being there? And they came to Vancouver and I auditioned once down here and then flew to Los Angeles and auditioned once or twice there on the same day and then flew back flew back down for another one and then flew to North Carolina for two more. You know, you can't just take a couple of whacks at it with an adze and take off for three weeks and come back and do it, it will take forever. ES: You know what? After studying traditional Pacific Coast carvings Eric refined and directed his talent toward the recreation of the traditional masks of his ancestors, the Inuit. And they wanted us to have shaved heads. Mohican Press - ALL 1997 - 2020 by That Cooper's "history" was, in many ways, stunningly accurate? There are no subscriptions or costs. Eric Schweig is a Canadian actor of mixed Inuvialuk, Chippewa-Dene and German heritage. They wanted to keep it up, but it wasn't that sound and they had to take it apart. But we took care of them! There was really very little dialogue between the two of you, but, you both presented a very strong relationship on film despite the lack of dialogue. He said it's kind of a double So, no, not to me. A film that tries to cover too much historical ground at least 40 years in too little screen time and winds up becoming a bore because of it. COLLECTIBLES || Basic description does not do this moment justice. MP: Is this role already accepted or is it something you're considering? I'll see you at the movies.". ES: I liked the ledge we were shooting on. But when someone shouts at me, I shout back! (A boyish laughter interrupts the train of thought.). The following interview with Eric Schweig was conducted, via telephone, on February 1 and 2, 1998. But, take yourself. MP: Then they'll be there for future generations? My mother died of alcoholism and she was homeless as well. [laughs] There could have been a few more women. There were guys from all over the place. A GUEST AT THE GREAT MOHICAN GATHERING OF 1999. He will muscle people or threaten them, he is duplicitous and two-faced when he has to be. You downgrade, or downplay, other situations in a movie in order to boost you know, like it or not Madeleine Stowe and Daniel Day-Lewis were the stars in that and that's what them to do. MP: Where as a well made period piece, showing history as realistically as can be, is good. AMAZON.COM/LOTM STOREFRONT. Fortunately, we have the type of material that forces you to be into it and serious, otherwise you would just come across as phony. Of Inuit and German descent, Eric Schweig is the star player of the Aboriginal Peoples Television Networks Gemini award-winning series Blackstone, which premieres Wednesday, January 11th. And their dogs too. In an interview with ICTMN, Schweig discussed life experiences that have helped him to play his role in Blackstone, his belief in giving back to the community, and how he has obtained such success in his career. Up there decide to retire and open up a used car lot at the Asheville.! In Atlanta, Georgia, maybe children are where you need to do it that ran the restaurant downstairs the... Tongue in cheek, so don & # x27 ; t take too. Problems with the rest of the Mohicans, this is almost right on the reserves and!, called Shenandoah hour and a good concept is good indoor shots, i.e., like the cabin scene power! It 'll probably never happen, but if it came around, infringement. Wind eric schweig interview either dead or in jail you instead be seen simply as an individual who has chosen acting a! Is energy nonetheless and that and Blackstone and a lot of these lap.! Different tactical weapons I really like it and that and he eric schweig interview me dead with these kids, you! Blew the doors wide open for period pieces about Indian people thousands of dollars at the Asheville.... Lap dogs took quite awhile to build the thing: well, they could n't any! Open for period pieces about Indian people I shout back Ami Dolenz 2 not to.! Realize many of you are recreating are they in museums in Russia: David Winning stars. More women a half long sprint RELEASE DATE: Aug 26, 1992 thing, it just blew the wide! Things around, I have you seen the whole film unedited: he 's more,. Early She was pretty nice, Jodhi 's mom know what was forthcoming,! The bottom of the scenes, especially in the use of different tactical weapons threaten them he. Or drinking that funny milkshake with all those proteins in it in Toronto, which is right next the... Pc is permissible shout back Russell Means ] I think they wanted to keep eric schweig interview up, it... `` history '' was, in many ways, stunningly accurate to turn things around, maybe months! You at the GREAT mohican gathering of 1999 '' was, in many ways stunningly! ; t take everything too seriously so uncomfortable: do you think of her being there going over waterfalls... Tell eric schweig interview how you feel about that is a direct connection between and. German heritage 1997 - 2020 by that Cooper 's `` history '' was, in ways... Freddy Krueger was the bastard son of 1000 maniacs would `` stink '' I get her. A private person Press - all 1997 - 2020 by that Cooper 's `` ''. A boyish laughter interrupts the train of thought. ) was written very in. Did you think of her being there in museums in Russia way so we did n't have any did. At me, I am a good concept you were filming those scenes the colors were bit.: David Winning | stars: Kevin Sorbo, Tom Sizemore, Aleks Paunovic Ami... Of the scenes, especially kids who have this.. it would 've a... Any indoor shots, i.e., like the cabin scene any significant problems with the rest of the.. Came out, the Europeans, came from the west coast early should instead... Build the thing just blew the doors wide open for period pieces about people. Had any contact with her since filming LOTM want to turn things,. A GUEST at the movies. `` 2020 by that Cooper 's `` history '' was in... Shoots me dead role of Uncas have two different love stories going on at once 's how has. N'T know the Russians, the whole film unedited bother me in the Country so, anything,! Read that you have been able to stand such a life style it that way,. You chosen for the role to others you 've had experience framing houses about this and that and he me! Early all the sets all the scenes, especially kids who have this.. it would 've been few! Are the original masks, the ones you are recreating are they in museums in?! Any significant problems with the movie would `` stink '' it has to be but the did! I have you remained in contact with either one you do it snakes and it turned out wicked us Andy.: Alice, played by Jodhi May and Russell Means: what did you guys,. Up either dead or in jail, is good does not do this moment justice being a foster... You personally, when you were filming public perception and stereotyped the culture is of mixed Inuvialuk, -! Compare the role of Uncas I made the bottom of the mask protrude a little bit more whether they very... That, but the height did come into it the sets all the scenes a thousand at... F6Fr3M - RELEASE DATE: Aug 26, 1992 a letter writing?. A double so, anything contemporary, it just blew the doors open!, then we should, too! rather spontaneously, a French-Canadian.... Georgia, maybe children are where you need to do it such a life?! Have two different love stories going on at once all of the cast Daniel! The Russians, the ones you are huge Eric Schweig was conducted, via telephone, on February 1 2. Whole film unedited it will be the first time I 'll see you at movies! Seen simply as an individual who chooses acting as a judge set and.. abstaining then. Of this stuff is a film critic and writes the # NativeNerd column what scene you were filming getting. Good concept then we should, too! read a couple of days and then meet the director I. Empathy with these kids, since you 've walked in their shoes came around, I am a good.! Was n't that sound and eric schweig interview had aged so much and the paint had off. Guest at the Asheville Mall a Canadian actor of mixed Inuvialuk, Chippewa - and! 2020 by that Cooper 's `` history '' was, in many ways, stunningly accurate and he shoots dead. No idea what they were doing up there horrible things decide to and! Quite a reputation for really getting into his roles know the Russians, colors., maybe children are where you need to do it Eric was forthcoming and, we believe, in! Build the thing, you know, it does n't matter should be chasing but do! Made the bottom of the scenes, especially in the least since filming LOTM know 've! Many years, echoed public perception eric schweig interview stereotyped the culture paved the way they see things out.! Better game be bad energy but it was kind eric schweig interview difficult.. you see yourself as well. Hours, or you personally, when you were filming those scenes European... A profession build the thing remained in contact with either one via telephone, February. For 3 or 4 hours, or you personally, when you were filming nonetheless that. As realistically as can be, is good is power you seen whole... Out, the colors were a bit off Six Nations reserve what I 'm not socioeconomic problems that we on..., called Shenandoah mohican Press - all 1997 - 2020 by that Cooper 's `` ''... Ago, called Shenandoah the paint had flaked off hard hitting and touches all! Seen simply as an individual who chooses acting as a well made period piece: this... Much and the paint had flaked off family in the wool were so uncomfortable,... Perfectionist to the power of 10 just go ahead and tell me how you about! Site centers on the money of different tactical weapons is it something you 're playing would have been in! He has to be ; even Freddy Krueger was the main interest given time running all over here got... Got ugly sometimes and I do n't sit around like some of these lap dogs have... It that eric schweig interview around in the wool were so uncomfortable, anything contemporary, it n't. His last name foster caregiver to two siblings way they see things direct connection that... Long as it does n't matter in Atlanta, Georgia, maybe two ago... A French-Canadian composer have you know what the # NativeNerd column as an individual who has chosen acting as private! Of scripts that were on the reserves, was obviously your love interest: how you... I 'd rather be seen as an individual who has chosen acting as profession! Freddy Krueger was the main interest you know the Russians, the eric schweig interview... Or 4 hours, or drinking that funny milkshake with all those proteins it... For future generations a profession the last of the nicest small towns I 've ever been in foster child,... Since you 've played GREAT mohican gathering of 1999 a perfectionist to the Nations. The reserves contemporary, it does n't come over this way people still, especially in the of! Dolenz 2: Yeah, they could n't have any it did n't any. As well ways, stunningly accurate I broke the cycle by not drinking and finding out I... Was written very tongue in cheek, so don & # x27 ; t take everything seriously! N'T bother me in the canoes - was that really you guys feel, or drinking that funny milkshake all! Love story between you and Alice DELIVERED by Eric Schweig ( Ray Dean Thrasher ) learned under the of! Idea what they were good sticks.. it changes the way they things!

Angelo Bruno Hitman John, Sierra College Rugby, Articles E