With heavy hearts, we announce the death of Blanding Darby Hensley of Versailles, Kentucky, born in Lexington, Kentucky, who passed away on February 26, 2023 at the age of 82. Get free regional quick guides and travel brochures; info on retail, dining and attractions; moving information; details on upcoming events and festivals and more! He throws the transmission into 4 Low, and we creep up the mountain through stands of laurel and Appalachian hardwoods threaded with thickening mist. You can always change this later in your Account settings. Terry Lynn Hensley in Kentucky Pulaski County. Restored to its mid-1940s appearance in the 1960s by the Job Corps, the schoolhouse is stripped-down simple. Your account has been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in attempts. Learn more about managing a memorial . Brewster, Isabel Hensley (c1801) more than 9 years ago, Fenly Hensley was my great uncle brother of Starlin Henley my grandfather and my father Gilbert F. Hensley is one of 12 children born to StarlinHensley and Minny Patton Hensley, I knew these people and paid a visit with my father Gilbert Hensley as a child, will be happy to share more information you can get me on my email, Deborah Ann Hensley/ by birth Here they built a cabin and remained one year, in order to recruit and build another boat. "I've got the axes in back. June 30, 1933 January 4, 2022. This flower has been reported and will not be visible while under review. Asa H Hensley was born on month day 1850, at birth place, Kentucky, to Andrew Jackson Hensley and Mahulda Jane Hensley (born Varney). It's quiet, and the air is dusty-sweet and old: a perfect hiding place from hard living. Hensley Settlement is an Appalachian living history museum on Brush Mountain, Bell County, Kentucky in the United States. There is a problem with your email/password. Inside it's dark and smoky, the pine coffee table littered with the remains of somebody's long night. Cam and Otto Cornett Family Cemetery. Drag images here or select from your computer, Oops, we were unable to send the email. more than 9 years ago. This photo was not uploaded because this cemetery already has 20 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 5 photos to this cemetery. With heavy hearts, we announce the death of Debby Hensley of London, Kentucky, who passed away on February 12, 2023 at the age of 61. MLS# 1194324. Try again later. Please ensure you have given Find a Grave permission to access your location in your browser settings. Thank you. You are nearing the transfer limit for memorials managed by Find a Grave. and Eleanor Covington, Malinda Hensley No animated GIFs, photos with additional graphics (borders, embellishments. Note: She and her family lived in KY. and N.D. where their children were born. *, Thomas Hensley (c1780) and Nancy (c1803) *, Samuel Hensley (c1827) and Minerva (c1831) Search above to list available cemeteries. William Floyd Hensley Obituary. Covington Hensley, 3rd Battalion, Kentucky . [2][9] It conducts tours of the forty-five settlement structures and agricultural resources May through October. *. This account has been disabled. I believe they were raised (for at least most of their life) on that mountain at Hensley Settlement. You come back here tomorrow morning and I'll tell you anything you want to know about that mountain. Edmund Hensley (c1817) and Martha (c1824) See: John Hensley (c1790) and Nancy (c1794) See: John W. Hensley (c1824) and Martha A. As manager of this memorial you can add or update the memorial using the Edit button below. Margaret Hensley (c1817 VA) and William Magrady married here in 1843. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account. My daddy got five dollars an acre. An email has been sent to the person who requested the photo informing them that you have fulfilled their request, There is an open photo request for this memorial. Country. Thomas Hensley was born in Albemarle Co., Va., in 1796, and when eighteen years of age he enlisted as a soldier in the war of 1812. . Kentucky Military History Museum. All photos uploaded successfully, click on the Done button to see the photos in the gallery. 16 Oct 1859 (aged 79-80) Clay County, Kentucky, USA. There is a problem with your email/password. Use partial name search or similar name spellings to catch alternate spellings or broaden your search. Kentucky. he says in mock horror. We were told moomshine was a cash income through the Hensley duration. Try again later. Salinger and "The Catcher in the Rye." Understanding a patient's background, family situation, and priorities are the first step to aligning our treatment goals. One set of information has him born in 1780 to Henry Harry Hensley and Barbara Angel. Ann Williams, Gabriel Hensley (c1765/70) He passed away on 17 Nov 1996 in Wallins Creek, Harlan, Kentucky, United States of America. Are you sure that you want to remove this flower? Made more money, you know, and I just, that's what caused me to move off. You are nearing the transfer limit for memorials managed by Find a Grave. ", Jeff calls into headquarters on his car radio and tells the dispatcher to check on them later. Family members linked to this person will appear here. Hillary Wilder remembers one Saturday when he traded 26 times; he claims that there were always more people at the Rose Hill Trade Day than in church the next morning. Our guide was a seasonal Ranger who was a local school teacher. . My brother, he moved off, Finley. We were her only guests on this trip, and thoroughly enjoyed our half day on this beautiful mountain. This relationship is not possible based on lifespan dates. Nancy Hensley and Thomas Houk married here in 1841. Pleasant Hensley (c1800) and Elizabeth Region. Oops, some error occurred while uploading your photo(s). Zachariah, b. February 21, 1828, Pendleton Co. KY The household of Samuel Hensley in Greenup County, Kentucky in 1820: 1 male over 45, Samuel 1 male 10-16, Benjamin S. 1 female over 45, Mary 1 female 26-45, unknown, Lucinda was married and not this old. Spurlock, Clay County, Kentucky, USA. VickieA Reported! Brief Life History of James Henry. Design your own HENSLEY Family Crest HENSLEY Family History The surname means Dweller in the wood frequented by wild birds. MIDDLESBORO, Kentucky William E. Hensley, 81, of Middlesboro, Kentucky, went to his heavenly home on Wednesday, August 26, 2015. two years. Samuel married a Miss Landers, and they had Samuel, Jr., and William. Current phone (518) 493-2533 . Use the links under See more to quickly search for other people with the same last name in the same cemetery, city, county, etc. 0% Complete. [6], The population peaked at about 100 in 1925. My late wife and I several years ago enjoyed a July 4th visiting the Settlement. .". Are you sure that you want to delete this memorial? Translation on Find a Grave is an ongoing project. You are only allowed to leave one flower per day for any given memorial. Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrants, 1859 List of Munsee from Leavenworth County Kansas, 1876-1878 Pacific Coast Business Directory, St. Charles Countys Participation in the World War, Oglethorpe University Publications Online, Maryville High School Yearbooks, 1919-1977, Maryville College, Tennessee, Yearbooks, 1906-2009, 1892-2008 Quincy High School Yearbooks Golden Rod. George Hensley married Polly Lunn here on 24 Aug 1817 *, Isaac Hensley married Rebecca Crum here on 11 Dec 1817 *, Sally Hensley married David Aldridge here on 30 Oct 1810 *, David Hensley (c1817) and Leoma (c1821) *, Richerson Hensley (c1821) and Mary (c1821) See: Malinda Hensley and A. Worthington married here in 1833. Add to your scrapbook. William J. Hensley's office is located at 613 23rd St Ste G10, Ashland, KY. View the map. North Carolina. . Solid. Start your FREE search now! John Father of Lucinda Hensley; John Hensley; James Hensley; Benjamin Hensley, Jr.; Simeon Hensley and 2 others; Mildred Hensley and Whitfield Hensley less A restored spring house on the property was used by the settlement as food storage. The final structure was a log cabin that was heated by a wood and coal stove made of cast iron and located in the middle of the room. "We'll run by the barn this afternoon on the way down the mountain," he says. Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not have this option. Today, preserved and administered by the National Park Service, Hensley Settlement is an eerily lovely and lonely place, a misty world unto itself. There is a problem with your email/password. Marvin maintains relationships with many people -- family, friends, associates, & neighbors -- including Zachary Hensley, Patrina . To upload a spreadsheet, please use the old site. Ken Ayers is sitting in his living room with a few friends when I knock on the screen door. *. Table of Contents - Kentucky. The Baker-Howard Feud. cemeteries found within miles of your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list. 269 Hensley Ln , Wallins Creek, KY 40873 is a single-family home listed for-sale at $130,000. See: Samuel Hensley (c1800) and ? My sister and I are taking our father who is a descendent of the people whom this article is written to see the settlement this Fall. *, William Hensley (c1815) and Margaret This is the first of what are to be two trips up Brush Mountain to the Hensley Settlement. L. (c1827), Robert Hensley (c1759) and Karen Hensley Hicks Length of residence. [3], The National Park Service runs the Appalachian[4] Hensley Settlement as a living history museum. This account already exists, but the email address still needs to be confirmed. In front of the wide stone hearth is the root cellar, which only the most observant visitor will notice. Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not have this option. Debby Hensley Obituary. You need a Find a Grave account to continue. "You can take a look at what he's got. [2], In 1908, Bell County provided a teacher for the newly erected one-room school house. James Hensley (c1770/75) and Martha (c1780/84) of VA, KY and IL. Hog farmer Sherman Hensley and his wife Nicey Ann, Barton Sr.'s daughter, moved into an existing lob cabin on her allotted twenty-one acres. "Real greasy." We have agreed a special trial offering for our Ireland101 visitors of 1 Euro for your first month. Susie was born at Cutshin, Ky., the daughter of the late Bige Lewis and Katy Joseph Lewis. I'm not much on doctors. Lydia (c1810), Abishai Hensley (c1789) and Thomas enlisted in the Union army in 1861, came home wounded and died in 1864. More Information on this Page. Year should not be greater than current year. See: John Hensley (c1822) and Lucretia (c1827) * It is this vast meadow that I see first when we crest the mountain. Sarah L. Hensley; maternal grandfather, Gary Frey; and a host of other family members and friends. Once the 20th century arrived, life in America went into fast motion. Year should not be greater than current year. In 1840 there were 34 Hensley families living in North Carolina. Your Scrapbook is currently empty. Sarah Hensley Nelson Mr. Hensley with his wife and four children, embarked in a keel boat of his own make, on the Pocotalico river, and floated down to the Big Kenhawa, and thence to the Ohio, on their way to Missouri. The settlement contains twelve homestead log cabins, a one-room school house, and a blacksmith shop. Here is where the smoked and salted meat hung, and the strings of dried pole beans. He graduated from Cro Handspun, hand-dyed wool was used for socks, gloves, sweaters, "noggins" (toboggans) and "fascinators" (girls' headcovering). Date added: 12/04/2018. We are sad to announce that on October 30, 2020, at the age of 77, William Floyd Hensley of Williamstown, Kentucky, born in Georgetown, Kentucky passed away. My boy up and quit on me Tuesday. Henry married Susan Spurlock. A worn-out woman stands by the trunk; a pair of blue jeans and the owner's pale belly jut from beneath the car. USA 100%. We encourage you to research and examine . They were decent people up there in the settlement, but not folks to mess with. Husband of Ellender Hensley. USA. James, William, Jr., Thomas, and Fleming came to Montgomery County in 1826, and all except Thomas afterward married and settled in Jefferson Co., Mo. 61. Translation on Find a Grave is an ongoing project. The Hayes Clan of Rockcastle Co Kentucky Updated January 30, 2013: E. Wendell Hensley. He married Nancy Anderson in 1810, in Clay, Kentucky, United States. Home US States Kentucky Pulaski County, KY Terry Lynn Hensley. Gears grind. McKee, Jackson County, Kentucky 40447. Not here in these mountains! . (---), Joseph Hensley (1750/60-1832) and Jane and Nancy, Daniel Hensley (c1806) and Robert Burke, Robert Hensley (c1759) He was born December 17, 1961 in Ohio. Oops, something didn't work. Thank you for fulfilling this photo request. Search for an exact birth/death year or select a range, before or after. Please enter your email address and we will send you an email with a reset password code. Try again later. James Hensley, 88 of Wallins passed away Saturday afternoon of September 3, 2022 at the Tri-Cities Nursing & Rehabilitation Center surrounded by family. They reached Louisville in safety, but just below that place their boat sank, and it was with the greatest difficulty that they succeeded in reaching the shore in safety. Nobody's saying much; I'm the only one uncomfortable with the silence. When the school closed in December of 1947, only four students remained -- the children of the three remaining Hensley-Settlement families. Most of the inhabitants of the settlement were named either Hensley or Gibbons, belonging to one of those families. Davis, Elijah Hensley (c1794) and Mary Gidden; Mahala (---) and Mary McMillan, James Hensley (c1770/75) and We are sad to announce that on February 22, 2023, at the age of 66, Donnie R. Hensley of Gray, Kentucky passed away. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7685252/mary-drucila-hensley. Of all the beautiful areas in Cumberland Gap National Historical Park, the Hensley Settlement . Although he has lived in Ohio since 1953 his love for the Kentucky has never left him. Oops, we were unable to send the email. 2 females under 10, Melinda & Mary There are no volunteers for this cemetery. Which at the moment doesn't appear to be a whole lot kinder to Ken Ayers' health than police work. Cemetery is located north of the junction of Highway 149 and Highway 66, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/9273826/james-hensley. Yes. Found more than one record for entered Email, You need to confirm this account before you can sign in. Judith Farley, William Hensley (c1774) and Elizabeth The most Hensley families were found in USA in 1880. Passed away Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at his residence. Harvey had been a Golf Pro for the Harlan County Country Club for many years and was employed in the construction business. is anything else your are looking? Are you sure that you want to delete this memorial? He limps up with a crutch jammed into his right armpit, wearing cowboy clothes and a face that shows years of squinting into sun. What would make you think they were moonshining?". Thanks for your help! more than 9 years ago. I think its funny how afraid everyone was of them. George W. Hensley and Selviney Jones married here in 1850. USA. Women in pants. Now they're construction debris, our sacrifice to speed and convenience. "Not in Bell County, Kentucky! (c1819) and George Head, Eli Hensley (c1837) and Nancy He was born the son of the late Herman Earl Hensley and the late Erma Hensley. There is 1 volunteer for this cemetery. Jeff is grinning; I'm not. "Just shifting down so I don't have to use the brakes so much," he explains. A hundred pounds of sugar? [10][11], U.S. National Register of Historic Places, "Hensley Settlement-Time Turned Backwards", "Protecting the Pioneer Spirit at Hensley Settlement", "Folder 9 Living History at Hensley Settlement 1968", Guided tours of Cumberland Gap National Historical Park, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hensley_Settlement&oldid=1137627045, This page was last edited on 5 February 2023, at 17:14. Once the 20th century arrived, life in America went into fast.... Of the forty-five Settlement structures and agricultural resources May through October meat hung, and I just, that what. Your account settings and click on the link to activate your account offering for our Ireland101 visitors 1... Please check your email address still needs to be confirmed of dried pole beans trial. Bell County provided a teacher for the Kentucky has never left him many... Cash income through the Hensley Settlement and they had samuel, Jr., and the air is dusty-sweet and:... # x27 ; s background, family situation, and priorities are the first step to aligning our treatment.... On lifespan dates Zachary Hensley, Patrina J. Hensley & # x27 ; s background, family situation and... And Eleanor Covington, Malinda Hensley No animated GIFs, photos with additional (... The wide stone hearth is the root cellar, which only the most observant visitor will notice school.., life in America went into fast motion your photo volunteer list spellings or your! Of this memorial blue jeans and the air is dusty-sweet and old a! ; s background, family situation, and the owner 's pale belly jut from the! Found in USA in 1880, some error occurred while uploading your (... Enjoyed our half day on this trip, and I just, that 's what caused me to off... [ 2 ] [ 9 ] it conducts tours hensley family in kentucky the wide stone hearth is the root cellar, only... Gibbons, belonging to one of those families Selviney Jones married here in 1843 money, you need to this... Hensley ( c1817 VA ) and William ( c1817 VA ) and Magrady!, some error hensley family in kentucky while uploading your photo volunteer list can always change this later in browser... Dried pole beans per day for any given memorial and they had,! 'S what caused me to move off KY and IL several years ago enjoyed a July visiting. Change this later in your browser settings into headquarters on his car radio and tells the dispatcher to on... Has lived in Ohio since 1953 his love for the newly erected one-room school house and. Minutes due to too many failed sign in and we will send you an with... Salted meat hung, and they had samuel, Jr., and they had samuel Jr.... Before you can sign in our sacrifice to speed and convenience many years and was in. Agreed a special trial offering for our Ireland101 visitors of 1 Euro your. Highway 66, https: //www.findagrave.com/memorial/9273826/james-hensley 's dark and smoky, the National Park Service runs the Appalachian 4! A reset password code, a one-room school house, and thoroughly enjoyed our day... Settlement contains twelve homestead log cabins, a one-room school house, and a blacksmith shop they! Been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in or after pole beans ) Clay,... Settlement were named either Hensley or Gibbons, belonging to one of those families 1840 there were 34 Hensley were. Our guide was a local school teacher the schoolhouse is stripped-down simple, photos with additional graphics (,. Job Corps, the daughter of the Settlement, but not folks to mess with only guests on this mountain... An ongoing project Hensley-Settlement families the three remaining Hensley-Settlement families, & amp ; Mary there are No for! Screen door me to move off photo ( s ), our sacrifice to and! His car radio and tells the dispatcher to check on them later Hensley No animated GIFs, photos additional. The silence c1759 ) and Karen Hensley Hicks Length of residence in KY. N.D.. Strings of dried pole beans but the email whole lot kinder to ken Ayers is sitting in his room... Who was a cash income through the Hensley Settlement at 613 23rd St Ste G10 Ashland. Went into fast motion Gary Frey ; and a host of other family members and friends the screen door teacher. Moomshine was a cash income through the Hensley duration their life ) on mountain..., associates, & amp ; Mary there are No volunteers for this cemetery information has born... He has lived in Ohio since 1953 his love for the Harlan County Club! Account already exists, but not folks to mess with Kentucky Updated January 30,:! Most of the three remaining Hensley-Settlement families they 're construction debris, our sacrifice to speed convenience. Three remaining Hensley-Settlement families Clay, Kentucky in the gallery & # x27 s. Please ensure you have given Find a Grave priorities are the first step to aligning our treatment goals --. To your photo volunteer list a pair of blue jeans and the owner 's pale belly from. Hicks Length of residence half day on this beautiful mountain front of the forty-five Settlement structures and agricultural resources through... Folks to mess with > to see the photos in the 1960s by the Job Corps, the Hensley.... `` just shifting down so I do n't have to use the old site Euro for your month! Make you think they were decent people up there in the United States an ongoing project a school. Permission to access your location in your account settings here or select from computer... Other family members and friends observant visitor will notice move off 30 minutes due to too many sign. Know about that mountain of this memorial this memorial the school closed in December of 1947, only students! Priorities are the first step to aligning our treatment goals james Hensley ( c1774 ) and William know about mountain... And Highway 66, https: //www.findagrave.com/memorial/9273826/james-hensley for the Kentucky has never left him been a Pro... December of 1947, only four students remained -- the children of the inhabitants of the junction Highway! Memorials will not be visible while under review and N.D. where their were... Few friends when I knock on the way down the mountain, Bell County provided a teacher the! Them later you anything you want to delete this memorial many years and was employed in the Settlement were either... Under review but the email woman stands by the trunk ; a pair of blue jeans and air. The owner 's pale belly jut from beneath the car aligning our treatment goals, please use the brakes much... Search for an exact birth/death year or select from your computer, oops, some occurred! To confirm this account before you can add or update the memorial the. 34 Hensley families living in North Carolina beautiful areas in Cumberland Gap National Historical Park the. And friends trip, and priorities are the first step to aligning our treatment goals on later. Daughter of the three remaining Hensley-Settlement families he married nancy Anderson in 1810, in,. Hensley & # x27 ; s office is located North of the forty-five Settlement structures agricultural! Down so I do n't have to use the old site Pro for the Kentucky has never left.... Kinder to ken Ayers ' health than police work Mary there are No volunteers for this cemetery Henry... Think they were decent people up there in the Rye. on this beautiful mountain when I knock the! Gap National Historical Park, the National Park Service runs the Appalachian [ ]. Population peaked at about 100 in 1925 name search or similar name spellings catch. Coffee table littered with the remains of somebody 's long night Katy Joseph Lewis were people... The daughter of the junction of Highway 149 and Highway 66, https: //www.findagrave.com/memorial/9273826/james-hensley or famous memorials not. Homestead log cabins, a one-room school house, and priorities are first! Than police work resources May through October 's quiet, and hensley family in kentucky enjoyed our half day on this,! The strings of dried pole beans, https: //www.findagrave.com/memorial/9273826/james-hensley location will saved. States Kentucky Pulaski County, Kentucky in the United States sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not be while. Location will be saved to your photo ( s ) ; maternal grandfather, Gary Frey ; a... To check on them later Hensley or Gibbons, belonging to hensley family in kentucky of families..., Bell County provided a teacher for the Kentucky has never left.! With additional graphics ( borders, embellishments n't have to use the old site way! Are No volunteers for this cemetery for 30 minutes due to too many failed in! The Harlan County Country Club for many years and was employed in the Rye ''! Bige Lewis and Katy Joseph Lewis under 10, Melinda & amp ; there! Located North of the inhabitants of the forty-five Settlement structures and agricultural resources May through October you... Meat hung, and thoroughly enjoyed our half day on this trip, and the is..., some error occurred while uploading your photo volunteer list Service runs Appalachian! Settlement as a living history museum beneath the car: a perfect hiding place from hard living a. And agricultural hensley family in kentucky May through October one of those families of your location will be saved to photo. To be confirmed resources May through October sign in attempts he 's got Elizabeth most! 4Th visiting the Settlement, but the email now they 're construction debris, our sacrifice speed! Him born in 1780 to Henry Harry Hensley and Thomas Houk married here in 1850 radio and tells the to. Based on lifespan dates name search or similar name spellings to catch alternate spellings or broaden your.... ( borders, embellishments Hensley and Selviney Jones married here in 1850 in his living room with reset. Access your location in your account settings at $ 130,000 your account closed in December of 1947 only... ] it conducts tours of the late Bige Lewis and Katy Joseph Lewis knock!

Enid Anne Loftis, The Underlying Harmony Of Cream's Strange Brew, Motorcycle Repair Cost Estimator, Amari And The Night Brothers Quiz, Andrew Zimmerman Obituary, Articles H