Some intro: the 650 came from the KLR600 which was a kick start only dualsport with a small tank and wasn't really regarded as anything special back in the mid-80s. The Kawasaki KLR650 is a dual-purpose motorcycle intended for use on both paved and unpaved roads. Kickstarter no longer fits with new clutch basket. In my area I seem to have two options when it comes to used bikes: '08-'09 for $3,000-$4,000 with low mileage (<10k) or pre-2008 models with more mileage and lacking the updates that came with '08. . rebound & spring preload, 7.3 in. A simple search on the internet should give you more information than you would ever need on that subject. It will do it in comfort, year-round and without breaking the bank. Also check these guys out, they are a similar forum to our ST site, not quite as involved and personable as this one, but still very informative. The. Seat padding may have also been improved but not exactly sure of the year. And riding the KLR wasnt work. I didnt have to worry about damaging a test bike or evaluating the bike I was on, so I could just ride for ridings sake. Ive done long-distance adventure tours on BMWs venerable R 1200 GS in several countries. Having turned the KLR into a more comfortable and versatile adventure tourer, he bought the bike from Kawasaki and kept it in his garage for more than a decade, occasionally using it for two-up camping trips with his wife, Genie. The changes include upgraded 41mm (1.6in) forks, a new D-section swingarm, dual beam headlight, dual-piston front and rear brake calipers, upgraded cooling system, 4mm spokes, cowling and fairing redesign as well as various redesigned parts. If I could ride today, this would be my first option. Ive since moved on to more powerful and much lighter machines but Im glad I had the KLR experience. Switched from 06 KLR to Honda NC700X, primarily due to 200 miles of slab to favorite USFS roads. First released as the KLR600 in 1984, the model was upgraded to a 650 in 1987. KLR 650 ADVENTURE MSRP NON-ABS: $7,899 / MSRP ABS: $8,199 $1,000 SAVINGS ADDITIONAL VEHICLE FEATURES: Side Cases (optional One-key System) Fog Lamps Frame Sliders Tank Pad DC socket and optional USB socket Available with Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) Special color & graphics: Cypher Camo Gray VIEW SPECS & DETAILS TOP FEATURES ENGINE That aligned perfectly with Riders focus on touring, travel and adventure, and since the KLR has always been reasonably priced, even more so when purchased used, it also fit within the limited budgets of staffers and contributors. I had a '90+- and a '07. I had a 1996 model I wish I had kept. I would like to buy a new bike but I want to retire without more payments. Otherwise same bike up to '07 just depends on what color you like which will dictate the model year(s) you'll look for. Ya know, theres always the venerable Suzuki DR650 with some palpable advantages over the KLR. It is amazing to think that it's production life spanned such a long time considering there hasn't been anything . And if youre in the market for a used KLR, the possibilities are nearly as limitless as the aftermarket products designed specifically for the crowd-pleasing dual-, er, triple-sport. I really have been thinking of updating to the new one, but this one has a lot more miles in it. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kawasaki_KLR650&oldid=1135899637, Articles needing additional references from August 2009, All articles needing additional references, Short description is different from Wikidata, Pages using infobox motorcycle with unknown parameters, Wikipedia articles that are excessively detailed from May 2021, All articles that are excessively detailed, Wikipedia articles with style issues from May 2021, Cleanup tagged articles with a reason field from May 2021, Wikipedia pages needing cleanup from May 2021, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Front: 9.1in (231mm); Rear: 9.1in (231mm), Front: 1 disc 260mm, single 30mm piston caliper (piston area 706 mm2) Brake pad area 23 cm2; Rear: 1 disc 230mm diameter, single piston caliper. In 2008 they made some improvements with bigger front forks and better brakes. The Kawasaki KLR650 is a 652 cc (39.8 cu in) dual-sport motorcycle intended for both on-road and off-road riding. What years should I avoid at all costs? Easily upgrade, easier than changing the plugs on my 14. The U.S. Military has KLR650s modified by Hayes Diversified Technologies to burn military-spec fuels including diesel. With the crazy number of adventure touring bikes on the market today, it is easy to overlook one of the originals because it often rides under the radar. Thanks for the inputs. Really like the klr as a good beginner off road bike. The KLR650 takes comfort and touring potential to the next level while maintaining the highly acclaimed reliability of its predecessor. I do worry about thedoohickey though. Kawasaki did a good job tuning the ABS to suit the dual-sport nature of the KLR, but it cant be turned off. Requiem for the Kawasaki KLR650 (1987-2018), Favorite Rides & Destinations Digital Edition, Adventure & Dual-Sport Motorcycle Reviews, Read Clement Salvadoris exploration of Californias Lost Coast, New Buell Super Cruiser to Debut at Daytona Bike Week, 2023 Indian Sport Chief | First Ride Review, 2023 Suzuki V-Strom 800DE | First Ride Review, Aerostich Pop-Up Event in Pleasanton, CA, March 21-25. I'm a new motorcyclist and am looking to buy a used KLR 650. It has been a long-standing model in Kawasaki's lineup, having been introduced in 1987 and remaining almost unchanged through the 2007 model. My sentiments also. No matter where Ive ridden in the world, I always seem to end up on tracks like these, with a mix of sand, rubble, and gravel. The afternoon took us into the dirt, and another characteristic I had to adjust to is the gear shift position. You bought a "new to you" Kawasaki KLR 650. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. So, you did it! travel Brakes, Front: Single 300mm disc w/ 2-piston caliperRear: Single 240mm disc w/ 1-piston caliper Wheels, Front: Spoked aluminum, 1.60 x 21 in.Rear: Spoked aluminum, 2.50 x 17 in.Tires, Front: 90/90-21, tube-typeRear: 130/80-17, tube-typeWet Weight: 487 lbs. ago a 2022 Adventure (non-abs). Both the battery and generator have been updated to provide more power for accessories such as auxiliary lights and heated grips. Had an 09 with 24k, no problems with the doohickey. Read our 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 vs Honda XR650L vs Suzuki DR650S comparison review. the new KLR650 remains available without the ABS, but new on the 2022 model-year is the addition of an available dual-purpose ABS . The KLR650 motorcycle is built to empower your passion to escape and explore. All rights reserved. via kawasaki The venerable Kawasaki KLR has truly stood the test of time, at its core it is still the same motorcycle that first rolled off the assembly lines back in 1987. Considering getting a KLR 650. Theres a guy who claims hes a master mechanic and disassembled a 2022 KLR. Early the next morning, the KLR now loaded with gear, I set off solo for Arizona. The 2008 model was the first significant redesign of the KLR650 since its inception. Putting that aside, the KLR is a breeze to ride on tracks like these, and even with the old-school tires, it is only the deeper sandy sections that force me to slow down to crawling speeds. Stability also gets a boost from more rake (30 degrees, up from 28), more trail (4.7 inches, up from 4.4), a 1.2-inch-longer swingarm, and a longer wheelbase (60.6 inches, up from 58.3), and key load-bearing areas have all been strengthened. Fond memories of my KLR El Burro Rojo! Just like any respectable off-roader, the Kawasaki KLR650 needed a set of cable suspensions, so it came with a 41 mm fork on the front that provided 200 mm of wheel travel and a Uni-Trak five-way preload-adjustable and four-way rebound adjustable shock absorber on the rear that offered 190 mm of wheel travel. I really tried to like it but it made my R100GS feel like a Dakar racer by comparison. The 2015 Kawasaki KLR650 is a tough adventure bike that will put the fun into your off-road adventures. Im commuting 57mi. At 5 foot 8, the KLR was waaay too high for me to enjoy. I think I read something on here about 2008s and early 2009s burning oil. The KLR proved to be the best off-road bike of the three thanks to its generous low-end torque, 9.1 inches of suspension travel and comparatively low weight. I will say I am sad to see KLR leave us though. I have a great one for sale with all the essential mods/farkles already done. The KLR650 is heavier than specialized off-road dirt bikes, but it can handle most conditions when ridden carefully by a skilled rider. Rider published its first solo test of the KLR in the November 1997 issue, written by Arden Kysely. The silt track might as well have been a road of marbles, and its at times like these when even the most experienced riders risk falling off that a lone traveler will be particularly thankful theyre on a simple, relatively lightweight adventure bike. But for the same price as a GS, you can buy a KLR650, all the gear you need, and still have enough left over to fund a substantial tour. August 18, 2017 in KLR/KLX 600/650. The Kawasaki KLR650 is the rescue mutt of the dual-sport motorcycle world. 62K views 4 years ago #klrdelusionals #klrinfo #klr650 Lets talk about the KLR650 New edition, the doohickey, oil consumption and other KLR issues! Kawasaki, in releasing the much-anticipated 2008 model, introduced the first significant redesign of the KLR650 since its inception. Im 76 years old. Models/Series Timeline, Specifications & Photos, full description and technical specifications. And I met a lot of great people on group rides, several of whom are some of my best friends to this day. KLR650-E: 2008 was the second major redesign of the KLR650. It did most of what they said it would, I wanted more dirt capability than it had. Almost nothing changed for two decades, which gives some indication as to the KLRs intrinsic qualities and its popularity. Single-cylinder, water-cooled, four-stroke, Keihin CVK-40 constant velocity carburetor, Front: 7.9in (201mm); Rear: 7.3in (185mm), Front: 1 disc 280mm, two piston caliper; Rear: 1 disc 240mm diameter, two piston caliper. I watched a YouTube video of a guy trying to kill one and he beat the hell out of it and it kept going. With its second major update since being introduced in 1987, the 2022 Kawasaki KLR650 continues the models long history as an affordable, dependable adventure bike. Writers seem to get informed from someone in Kawasaki who called at 11:56pm with whispered voices? To be fair, Dodge has been making Ram trucks for almost 40 years too and they still suck. Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe), http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/klr650-only-thread.742912/, (You must log in or sign up to reply here. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. It has many strengths and also some advantages over DR. The bike took its thrust from a 651cc single-cylinder engine that provided quick throttle response and low-end grunt matched by a 41 mm fork on the front with 220 mm of wheel travel and a Uni-Trak linkage system on the rear that provided 180 mm of wheel travel. Ill stand in line for a 2020 KLR 650 (MODERN) TWIN!! The new KLR is still equipped with Dunlop K750 tires, a road/trail compromise with an emphasis on compromise. A nifty half-inch bar has been added above the dash for mounting accessories, and the updated LCD is clear, easy to read, and now has a fuel gauge. . Thanks to the KLR, I learned how to ride a big dual-sport/adventure bike, tackling sand washes and technical hill climbs, crashing more times than Id care to admit. Cutting-edge stuff for the time, and the bike quickly gained a reputation for steady reliability and go-anywhere capability. milesWebsite: kawasaki.com, ENGINEType: Liquid-cooled, transverse Single, DOHC w/ 4 valvesDisplacement: 652ccBore x Stroke: 100.0 x 83.0mmCompression Ratio: 9.8:1Valve Insp. Dual-purpose capability allows the journey to go on- and off-road, and a reputation for enduring reliability helps you focus on the adventure at hand. So, what has Kawasaki done to the KLR? The "A" model remained nearly unchanged until the introduction of the 2008 model in USA, Canada, Australia and South Africa. Or what I should do first when I buy one. Editor-in-Chief Mark Tuttle, Managing Editor Jenny Smith and Senior Editor Yours Truly have owned, and loved, KLRs. Handguards and skid plate and that's about it. 2022 Kawasaki KLR650 First Ride Review. This was truly the best choice out there. The KLR is widely used as an inexpensive adventure/touring bike. The KLR has a reputation for field reliability, where everything can be fixed with a wrench and a rock; even the Marine Corps has a fleet modified to run on diesel. The famously green Japanese manufacturer has decided to badge up the new KLR 650 as a 2022 model.Don't worry though, it's very much available in 2021! Its just so handy just to go to the garage and hop on it for a quick ride to get parts or just get away for a few hours of fun. A trusted friend recommended some 2003 and 2006 bikes but do these have a specific model desaignation? ;-). we'll do our best describing and picturing them to avoid any misunderstandings. The KLR650 had been around, relatively unchanged, since 1984. When I expressed interest, they were nearly unanimous: buy a KLR650. Read our 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition first ride review. (as tested)Load Capacity: 316 lbs. I was on the non-ABS version, which coped admirably, as did the side bags, which remained bone dry inside. Nonetheless, tractor-like low-end torque enables the KLR to maintain traction in sandy, loose terrain. They are welded to the leg. The topcase-equipped Traveler fetches $7,399 MSRP while . Bought a 2018 Camo KLR just because they were coming to an end. Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. and our Sold it for a 2014 triumph tiger 800XC. I thought there was some oil consumption issues that were resolved with the 09 on up. autoevolution and the autoevolution logo are registered trademarks. Its almost impossible to stall, and the moment I get bogged down, a slip of the clutch is all thats required to churn my way through. Thanks for the story Rider. But the world has moved on, and as with many long-in-the-tooth motorcycles, satisfying the latest regulations is a major driving factor behind the updates to the new model. Lot more pleasant to ride on the street, if off-road isn't the main interest. When I set out to replace the doohickey I drained the oil only to find the broken doohickey stuck to the magnetic drain plug. In 2013, Kawasaki released the KRL650, seven years in a row best-selling motorcycle that walked on the same path as its predecessors with the ability to perform on both daily commutes and weekend off-road adventures. I was hooked, and for the next four years the KLR (soon outfitted thoroughly with crash protection, lights and luggage) was my ticket to some of the most challenging and beautiful rides Ive ever experienced. The new KLR stays true to that formula. Woohoo! Short stroke MX type designs don't do this until 7k rpms , then a person shouldn't be surprised for letting a motor scream like that for long periods ? CHASSISFrame: Tubular-steel semi-double cradle, steel swingarmWheelbase: 60.6 in.Rake/Trail: 30 degrees/4.8 in.Seat Height: 34.3 in.Suspension, Front: 41mm fork, no adj., 7.9 in. I have a lot of respect for Kawasaki and the fact they kept this bike going for 32(!) A larger 300mm front disc has increased braking power, and a thicker rear disc is less prone to fade on steep descents. By Here we are, at the beginning of a new year and the end of an era. Considering getting a KLR 650. Wellif I had your money I would ride bikes like I used to own. Upshifting was a struggle, particularly from 1st to 2nd. Yes, there are some things I would change, but when you consider the bigger picture, they seem trivial. Beasts: Adventure Bikes Not Made By BMW or KTM, http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/thumpers.15/, (You must log in or sign up to reply here. Looking back, Tuttle muses: Since 1987 the primary benefit of the KLR650 has also been its biggest weakness: size and comfort.

Bryan Sarah Baeumler New Baby 2021, Julian Date And Zulu Time, Who Is Micah Materre Husband, Obituaries Follansbee, Wv, Articles K