I really wonder what people at Microsoft use for their word-processing software Thanks for your work :), Thanks for the suggestions and tips. Tip: To review changes in the document without accepting or rejecting them, select Next or Previous. It all seems reasonable enough, but for those who live and breathe document comments it is clearly a step too far as a glimpse of the more than 150, er, comments on Microsoft's post makes clear. This also completes our goal of aligning the commenting experience across Word platforms and other Office apps, especially in Word, Excel & PowerPoint. Thanks! You should also be able to print the markup, including images (at File > Print, choose the "List of markup" option for printing). I made a special point of registering for this forum only to find a solution to this Modern Comments mess that has made my academic workflow so difficult. However, I can't click out of it to finish, I have to click or ctrl+Enter to post. It seems to work!! In Word for Mac, there is a checkbox for Modern Comments in Word/Preferences/General. ", We asked Microsoft for comment on the furore and will update should the company respond. Entries (RSS) Game Pass is one of the most popular features of Microsofts Xbox platform. I've retweeted your Tweet and liked all your other updates. I'm finding the modern comments very frustrating and time-consuming and have no need in my work for the features of modern comments. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-do-i-give-feedback-on-microsoft-office-2b102d44-b43f- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=76186)Timing:Current. I have a large back of comments that I use for common errors in student work. Awful time-wasting feature! I appreciate all of the work Microsoft has put into bringing the Mac version up to speed over recent years. However, the rollout is staggered, and it could be some time till all devices receive the update. That will give you this (to the right of the document): I cant stress enough how great this list view is, especially in any document longer than a few pages. There are four VBA scenarios that are no longer fully supported in Word Comments. The new commenting. Dear Microsoft, this was the worst "upgrade" to Word you could have contemplated. I'm using Word for Mac 16.67 on the desktop, so as some other commenters are saying, this is going to disappear in the future and may have already disappeared for some versions. You made my day! Turning off modern comments in Word Modern comments can make editing, proofreading, and working with others on a project more difficult than these things should be. Not something that is necessarily a huge issue but it is annoying and I can't see the purpose for keeping a comment selected when it's posted and non-responsive. It was easy. Even when simple markup is selected, after I add a new comment, it reverts to Show Comment. Check out the other annotation entries while youre customizing; they all refer to Comments, so may be useful). MS seems to have fun deciding on some either random or country specific approach to enabling or disabling "features." Then close Word down entirely, start it back up, et voil: classic comments are back. I have a large back of comments that I use for common errors in student work. You're forced to finish one first, to the standard you're happy for others to see, defeating the purpose of not having to post until it's finished. Be sure to save any open documents. Over the last year and a half (beginning in April 2021), Microsoft has been rolling out its "modern comments" to Word 365 users on both Windows and Mac platforms. I am so relieved to see so many others frustrated with this Modern Comments as I feel exactly the same! Well, this was the company that gave us Clippy after all. This setting is temporaryand will be removed in the future. Select the Post comment button or press Ctrl + Enter. It looks like most people will currently have the option to switch it off, in File>Options>General, but it's nice to know the images aren't completely gone in the new version, just hidden in the Review pane. 09:25 AM On Windows, go to your User folder "AppData" "Roaming" "Microsoft" "Templates". If you're cool with that, hit Accept all Cookies. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Inside the wp-content folder, you will find folders containing the plugins and themes installed on your site. The modern commenting experience is now available through a dedicated Comments pane for Windows Insiders running the Beta Channel Version 2006 (Build 13006.20002) or later. Modern comments sets the stage for a richer Word collaboration experience for you and your teams by enabling modern features such as @mention notifications and more. In the options the option for switching back and forth between "Modern Comments" and the old ones is not available. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Put your cursor where it needs to bein the document or in a commentand start typing or deleting or finding and replacing or whatever. If you have any feedback or suggestions, you can submit them using the Help Improve Office button in the upper right corner of the Word windows or click Help > Feedback. My Word (on Microsoft 365) has updated to Modern Comments. (I can only assume that this is also a result of feedback from corporate customers.). Click Yes or No below. I could do as Word asks, or I could change my mind and click the X. But if, like me, you do most of your work on longer documents that arent sharedand especially if youre not as convinced as I am that the benefits of modern comments outweigh their limitations in Wordgive it more time. If you use Word, and unless you have your updates turned off, there's a good chance you have them by now, or will soon. - edited There are already two petitions (I've signed both) on change.org, believe it or not. Method 2: Modify "Comment Text" Style At first, click "Home" tab. They have indicated an intention to remove this option in the future. Thanks, Russell. Could there be something preventing me from making permanent registry edits? Replace xxxx.yyyy with the build number you want to revert to. Thats easy to do. yw71: Wow, 15 years to 'supports iOS'. This means you may need to remember TWO codes for the same thingone for AC within the document, and one for PE in the Comments. I don't share my documents, so being able to edit comments and post when they're finalised is not particularly useful for me, as no one else is looking at them until I send the document. - edited Modern comments continue to work like comments did before. You can use the in-built settings, Local Group Policy Editor . Options button in the Styles task pane 4. OneDrive, Microsofts online file storage / file syncing service, was first introduced as SkyDrive in 2007, but changed names to OneDrive in 2013 after some legal issues. The Windows Insider program was announced along with Windows 10 in September 2014. Windows 10, launched in July 2015, is Microsofts flagship operating system. @Lenka_KerumovaIsn't that such good news. If this isn't for you, there's a very easy way to get the classic ribbon back. What might happen, as a result of user feedback, is that minor tweaks may be introduced, that is, the comment feature may be a little more customizable than it is today. #ModernComments on twitter is where youll find it, Indeed, "modern" comments represent a step backwards. At this time the modern comments cannot be disabled and Microsoft is aware of the complaints. Maybe we need to offer MS a bitcoin as ransom to get them to give us an option to use our old comment system. [I take that term from the incredible comment from MS some years back after a disastrous OS release that you could always 'upgrade back to the previous OS'!! Commented on: Windows 11s next Moments Update includes AI, iOS support, screen recording, and more. Be sure to check out our gaming features, like our series What to play on Game Pass, and be sure to check out all the latest Xbox news, too! Select Allow this information to be saved in your file under the Inspect Document heading. I've signed both, and will check yours out, too! Though this is rare, we also reserve the option to pull a feature entirely out of the product, even if you, as Insiders, have had the opportunity to try them. Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type. There have been a number of times I've posted a comment then tried to ctrl+F something in the document, but it won't respond to my ctrl+F. Figure 3. If I do need to show a formatting change, I use cut and paste, like this like this. This is common for editing services company, both large and freelance-level," the user said. Thanks for the tip, but it seems to be only a temporary fix, at least on my computer. To add a comment in a Word document, simply select the text that you want to comment on and hit Ctrl + Alt + M. The comments pane will instantly appear on the right side of the screen, and it will let you type it in. @JPLin Thank you for the helpful information. You can find a petition related to turning off modern comments here: https://www.change.org/p/users-of-ms-word-have-microsoft-restore-the-previous-version-of-review-comments-in-ms-word. Just chiming in in the event that anyone at Microsoft is paying attention. Words commenting feature is a copyeditors bread and butter. You can let Microsoft know what you think about modern comments. Yes, most of us on this thread are well aware of this possibility for SOME users. Looking for a way to get them back and unsuccessful so far. Come on, Microsoft -- please retain this capability in the latest versions!! Use the Feedback facility available within Word. Comments are slow to open. As you accept or reject changes, Word will move to the next change. But as Word will tell you, youll need to open the Revisions pane (a.k.a. Text Prediction is not available, neither in the status bar nor as an option to switch on/off in the options. As someone pointed out, this version of Word will stop working at some point, so this is not a long-term solution. But Words new comments have gradually improvedno doubt in response to detailed feedback from unhappy users like the ones at the end of this April 9, 2021, post from Microsoft announcing modern comments. But when I uploaded that same file to Office.com using my University of Chicago credentials, typing @ in a comment brought up a list of my colleaguesin both the web and desktop versions of Word. Its nonsense-they let the kids loose, and they are not writers. Method 2: Place your cursor in the comment or the text connected to the comment and then select the Delete menu arrow in the Review tab. Dec 04 2022 Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. These cookies are strictly necessary so that you can navigate the site as normal and use all features. You can look up build numbers at Version numbers of update branches for Office 365 clients. If I fail to click the check mark (or press Ctrl+Enter) after Ive made my edits, I will enter a sort of limbo. Reg reader Nick H noted: "Comments now seem to float around randomly. When will they do it. I found a check box in Advanced track changes options for show lines connecting to text and it does NOTHING. Track changes worked perfectly before and this was not something that needed to be "fixed". Sometimes in the course of writing one comment, I want to comment on something else first and then come back to the previous comment. (LogOut/ I made sure to turn off automatic updates, so I know Word wasn't updating itself behind my back. Can you explain how to disable inheritance? I also can't just click INTO it to edit, I have to click on more buttons. Sometimes, comments are just comments to help the author improve their writing," grumbled another victim of this vision. You clearly take the copyeditors oath very seriously (first, do no harm). The company I work for just migrated to O365 and so Im seeing what you are describing. For example, say I notice that each time I refer to an author named Smyth, Ive typed Smith by mistake. "Some people simply receive a document, revise, comment, then return. Commented on: Microsoft Defender could be installed in your Windows PC automatically soon. For example, to re-create the classic comment above, I could use an equation editor from within the document (or in another document or app), save that as an image, and then copy and paste the image into a comment (though without any option to resize the image): If you open a document with modern comments enabled, and that document includes an equation added using classic comments, you can still view that equation. I cant find a way to make the comment box appear fully on-screen. It began innocently enough last month. But perhaps the temporary fix will make my end of semester grading and commenting on theses and dissertations less work! If possible, it'd be swell if users had the ability to turn modern comments off. Hi, Im Kallie Bracken, a Program Manager on the Word team. Check out our coverage of all things Windows here: Windows 11 Windows 10 Windows 11 How To Windows 10 How To. Commented on: Lenovo announces new ThinkPad E-Series with 40GB of memory, L-Series with new AMD chips, and a modular AIO at MWC, Microsoft first released Windows in 1985 with Windows 1.0, but it wasnt until Windows 3.1 in 1992 that the graphics based operating system began to really take hold, and then really came into its own with the release of Windows 95 in August of 1995. My typing has evolved to use those features. To disable modern comments, follow these steps. My typing has evolved to use those features. A vast community of Microsoft Office365 users that are working together to support the product and others. But my work has a lot of editing to do in the comments made by someone else. But Words new comments are less easy to get excited about if, like me and most of the other copyeditors I know, you do your main work in isolation. This is true for Insiders as well. https://www.change.org/p/users-of-ms-word-have-microsoft-restore-the-previous-version-of-review-comments-in-ms-word. Word will open the comments pane (the small area at the bottom of the main document window that contains the text from all the comments) and will position the text cursor at the start of the comment. I un-checked that box, closed Word, reopened Word and presto, back to classic commenting. Save the file inside the OneDrive folder. Not an Insider? No extra steps required. Well, sorry, it's the law. To do this, select Start, enter .asd in the Search box, then press Enter. But where is Preferences hidden? You can type your new comment in the comments pane at the right and select Post (or press CTRL+Enter on Windows, or CMND+Enter on Mac) to finish your comment. no option to revert to classic comments, with their previous functionality, including an option to turn off collaboration features. Thanks - this seems to have worked for me. Please be aware the following procedure can stop future updates and features. Choose how you view comments In Word you'll find comments to the right of your page, by default. Send in your questions for Kareem to. Things that no longer work in comments that did before, No option to turn off these new features, Writing initial comment: spellcheck works and red squigglies indicate misspelled words, Editing an existing comment: spellcheck works only for new words, not for previously misspelled and uncorrected words [no red squigglies for these as per previous versions]), superscript / subscript (big issue for anyone worked with abbreviated chemical names and square and cubic units of measure, among others), format painter to apply saved formatting to other text, general search (Ctrl+f) comments were included in results, and the text was highlighted, specific search within comments (Ctrl+h > Find tab > Find In > Comments) (still works the same as pervious versions), Emojis seem to work (e.g. Thank you so much! Microsoft has a new "modern commenting experience" and wanted to extend it over the various editions of Word. :). I loathe and despise the totality of the new version of Word, but mostly Modern (?) Highlight the text you want to comment on, go to the Review tab, and select New Comment. (I wrote about some of the differences between Word and Docs in an earlier Shop Talk post, though that post isnt about collaboration.). The only solution I can think of for now is to disable modern comments and then check spelling (and grammar). Thankgoodness for your post. Trying out Spoutible as a Twitteralternative, When the job ad for an editor requiresediting, Excel: Convert hours and minutes to minutes, Word: Table or table row goes to next page, Testing ChatGPT against an editor's rewrite, A light-hearted look at how punctuation can change meaning, Word to PDF: Table of Contents not clickable, Trying out Spoutible as a Twitter alternative, Word: Change caption numbering from sequential to chapter numbering, If one or more of my tips have helped you, saved you time, or saved your skin, you can thank me by clicking the PayPal button (or, loss of functionality that has existed since comments were introduced many years ago (its broken), extra clicks and mouse movements that have to be done to insert, save, or edit a comment (its not ergonomically efficient), impingement on valuable screen real estate (its hard to use and is not efficient), lack of connection between comments and the text they relate to (its hard to use and is not efficient), resulting additional time and loss of productivity (and therefore extra cost to the client) it takes to review/edit documents and make comments for author action (its not efficient). Phone evolution image by thayra83 / Adobe Stock. Select the Info tab in the Backstage view. I have a number of problems with the useability of these comments, based on the way I have used them in the past (for context, I am an educator and primarily use them when marking student assignments). haven't rolled out to my Word 365 (Windows) version as yet, so today I turned off Updates to prevent them from being installed (File > Account > Update Options button).Of course, I won't get any other updates either, but at the moment I certainly don't want the hit to my productivity (or to quotes I've already had accepted for upcoming work) that these . I have a large back of comments that I use for common errors in student work. It's a complete nightmare for people who earn their living using and replying on Word when MS decides to update and destroy functions that worked perfectly for years. Two capital letters at the start of a comment don't get corrected, and simple typos don't get corrected. 11:07 AM you have got to be kidding me. Modern comments provides a consistent commenting experience across Word, Excel and PowerPoint. This worked for me too: MUCH better. Figure 2. Can I remove Modern Comments and revert back? 2. 3. Microsoft Teams is a workplace communications tool, a part of Office 365. :-(. @BgwilsonAwesome! And has COMMENTS appearing as they should. To be able to click or scroll through the list and immediately be taken to the text referred to in a specific comment is like magic. There are more steps to use them than before. Word + Excel + PowerPoint: Bringing It All Together, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), Words Modern Comments: A Copyeditors Perspective, City, State: A Comma with Two Competing Roles, To add the comment shown above, I selected the phrase its how we show our work, pressed Ctrl+Alt+M (Im working in Windows; on a Mac its Cmd-Option-A), and typed This is a classic Word comment.. Once the comment is posted you can drag the comment bubble anywhere within the object you commented on to indicate specifically what you're referring to. I am grading a set of advanced undergraduate papers and I estimate that Modern Comments has about doubled the time it takes to mark them up and more than doubled the frustration level. My computer screen isn't large enough to cope with the extra width. Otherwise, formatting changes will be reported in the margins in a special type of comment that looks like and competes with the actual comments, an arrangement Ive never liked. Why should I change to problematic upgrades? In those appswhere the old comments tended to get lost in the busy graphical interfacethe Comments pane is a giant step forward. You can also bring others into the conversation using @mention. Everything in Word else *seems* be working OK just curious. Nobody at Microsoft seems to be listening. Next press "Ctrl+ Shift+ End". 09:05 AM The modern comments experience allows users to @mention and post comments to collaborate with their co-workers. Basic Method to Stop Word from Using "Author" 1. For one monthly price, Microsoft offers at least one hundred games available to download and play, or play on Xbox Cloud Gaming, the companys game streaming platform Heres some more stuff. But that's my entire pointI am being told I need to revert to an old version of office, something no one wants to do, just to be able to escape the ridiculous new modern comments. I also can't just click INTO it to edit, I have to click on more buttons. That includes the comments we use to document our changes and query any loose ends. The problem for now is one of expectations. Ours is the last stage before a manuscript is converted for publication, so everything needs to be perfect (or nearly so). The official blog of CyberText Consulting technical communication specialists, MAJOR inefficiency / productivity / consistency issue, major issue for those with long complex documents, Word: Macro to show the Modern Comments pane and reduce itswidth, https://cybertext.wordpress.com/2021/05/04/word-modern-comments-means-the-price-goes-up-as-productivity-takes-a-massive-hit/, https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-365-blog/introducing-modern-comments-in-microsoft-word/ba-p/2263182, https://ivacheung.com/2021/07/modern-comments/, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/modern-comments-in-word-53d8b54e-5036-40f8-9a09-3271dea169ba, https://cybertext.wordpress.com/2021/05/21/word-macro-to-show-the-modern-comments-pane-and-reduce-its-width/, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XShh1XtFPEc, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/using-modern-comments-in-word-edc6ae71-0a2d-49fe-8faa-986f1e48136a, Word: What you get depends on your version | CyberText Newsletter, https://cybertext.wordpress.com/2021/05/16/word-testing-modern-comments-and-issues-found/, Word: Modern Comments means the price goes up as productivity takes a massive hit | CyberText Newsletter, Adobe Acrobat XI Pro: Always open PDFs at100%. We like to call this the Collab corner!. Leave Word alone. Phew. Im not all that optimistic, though, for reasons Iva Cheung summed up in this cartoon. The new experience shows comments to the right of the page by default. To turn off modern comments on Windows and MacOS, go to. To get back into the document, I hit the Esc key. Type the comment. * This update sounds like it should be a good one. Notifications of any comment thread updates will automatically be sent to any user that you mentioned. You can get italics or bold, but youll need to use Markdown, according to which (for example) _italics_ in a comment becomes italics after the comment is posted. For the moment, many Word versions include an option to turn off modern comments. Select the dialog box launcher in the Styles group. Not something that is necessarily a huge issue but it is annoying and I can't see the purpose for keeping a comment selected when it's posted and non-responsive. (When Words classic comments have been set to display in the margins, theres no option not to show formatting there also.) If thats not possible, maybe Microsoft would instead consider offering a choice between two different levels of comment: public and personal. Existing files with comments will not be affected Modern comments can't be read by PowerPoint 2019 or older, including subscription and perpetual versions. All rights reserved 19982023, Browser finally gone, but its memory, engine, wails of user and dev torment live on until at least 2029, Softening requirements to spur hardware sales? And you cant use an equation editor to insert equations. Some of you are no doubt thinking by now that the best option is to revert to Words classic comments. Microsoft has introduced a temporary option in Word that lets you turn off Modern Comments and revert to Classic Comments. Microsoft Teams first launched in March of 2017 and has picked up many new features since then. You're forced to finish one first, to the standard you're happy for others to see, defeating the purpose of not having to post until it's finished. (Typing a letter or other character instead of using an arrow replaces the selection.) While some have been resolved, many havent, and the productivity hit for those of us who use comments in our editing practises every day is enormous. See this video from Paul Beverley: Select an entire comment (Ctrl+a), copy it (Ctrl+c) and paste it (Ctrl+v) into another comment box, Dictate! Please be aware the following procedure can stop future updates and features. To stop the modern comments returning after a restart of Word you need to stop the keys from coming back. My Word (on Microsoft 365) has updated to Modern Comments. Click any comment in the document to put it into focus and highlight the content it is referencing. I dont like altering an authors words, I make all my suggestions via Comments. In the meantime the recommendation is to use the feedback box. Two capital letters at the start of a comment don't get corrected, and simple typos don't get corrected. Updates to improve accessibility features will be rolling out soon. Many of the desired editing features are not available in this mobile application. Once you do that, your comment will look like this (but with a blinking cursor line at the end of the comment text): Note the message in gray text: Another comment is in progress. In this case, its my own comment thats in progress (or, specifically, an edit to my own comment). If I open a comment using a keyboard shortcut (on a Windows computer) and start typing, the first one or two letters often gets inserted into the main text, They don't use the same autocorrect tools as the main text. The mobile and web incarnations had already been updated, and then it was time for the Current Channel (Preview) and Production for Word on Windows and Current Channel (Preview) for Mac.

Lac Courte Oreilles Tribal Membership Requirements, Articles M