sorry we're late. >> my children were definitely, daddy, we love the place. the difference is best foods. order by october 29th to have your flooring installed by thanksgiving. i killed people on the other side of this world. jason was like, no. rory mcguire, now in surgery, wasn't able to talk. >> later that morning, detectives went out to the meadow and discovered some fascinating evidence. >> rory had all the equipment. >> i got one off to the right here, one hand up. i'd love it if you'd open the chute! >> mind you, this was truly remote. some people had been shooting at each other. >> in that case, chad could walk since little quincy couldn't afford to try him again. >> awesome. at petsmart. >> i remember seeing my dad and mom. why would somebody want one of those? >> every day i think about it. stern warnings to would-be vandals and thieves. >> you just let it go? >> could i imagine him being away from us? 1 1.Transcript of Miles From Nowhere from - Happy Scribe; 2 2.Plumas jury finds man guilty of murder in 20-year-old's shooting death; 3 3.Man Sentenced To 80-Years In Prison For Vigilante Killing; 4 4.Miles From Nowhere, Part 8 - NBC News; 5 5.KRNV News 4 - In 30-minutes on Dateline: Miles from - Facebook; 6 6.Dateline NBC - A web exclusive addition to Friday's absolutely. >> why did chad keep shooting at the car after it made a u-turn? >> the cattle boy and the penguin. three men, badly wounded, one of them critically. this kenmore elite dueluggle temperature double oven,? strangers had come very close, middle of the night, strangers who stole a solar light and may have been tramping around on their property. and they soon find chad's account is changing. so they got up to a little mischief up there by the lake, with a spotlight one of them brought, the kind that plugs into a cigarette lighter. couldn't have been from the young men, said the prosecutor. >> i just got freaked out about the kids and people screwing around and i just lost it, just. >> somebody shot out of that car. >> they didn't have to hold their breath very long. before they would always remember the day they spent together, before her granddaughter. but neither could they, nor could we ignore one more big discrepancy between louis's story and chad's. >> no. when he comes up he says, you [ bleep ] shoot at my house? one a lot like his military weapon. >> in this corner right here? by the shattered glass of its window some of it still here marking the spot. he was brain dead at that point. >> you can't get it out of your head. >> somebody makes their way over toward the car and says, -- >> seen in the footage here, shot in the right leg, bleeding profusely. >> how important was that video? he looked as if he continued to forecast that he would just not be able to maintain any composure whatsoever. S22 E3342m. daddy will take care of it. it's very chaotic. and take care of you. With one man dead and two others injured, authorities wonder if this was self-defense or something else. now they returned to the car. >> implying that what he did in that meadow he had first done under enemy fire overseas. >> we had to drive clear almost 3/4 of the way down to where i normally get reception and i called out and i got through and right as i was talking to the lady the call dropped. but i was a ranger. >> that's what the military trained me to do is react. >> it was in the dark that the fear began. doritos, only $2.48. At least 10 killed in 7.8 magnitude . money chad and his family did not have. >> some of the other detectives were out in the meadow looking for the weapon or weapons those young men must have fired at chad. while racing to the scene, staley and the warden met up with the sheriff's deputy. Air date: Oct 11 . and something else. he fired a warning shot. >> so how much did you have to do with the decision to charge him? is a daily game of "what if's". >> and so before sunday, july 3rd, was half gone, chad wallin reed was booked and strip searched and locked up in the plumas county jail. where right now our newest innovations are available with 36-month financing. >> well, the police asked these people if they had guns and they said no. Matthew Podolaks Heath Took a Turn for the Worst, A First Look at the Suspicious Death of Matthew Podolak, A Clue Points Authorities in a Surprising Direction in Harrison Case. >> a magical place. The Sacramento Bee reports Gregory Chad Wallin-Reed was sentenced Thursday in Plumas County. >> where detective hendrickson is standing is about where they traveled past and then he started shooting at their car. best foods. good. >> right. >> everything. a sticky, brownish black mess that told a fascinating story. well, the chocolatey taste of jell-o pudding makes up for all that. there was also a closet inside the cabinet that contained a large amount of ammunition for various guns -- shot guns. yoplait. >> wait a minute. the few deputies on patrol are scattered over a vast wilderness. >> he talked about that with his training that he had received from the military to continue to follow the threat, neutralize the threat, got into his zone and he needed to neutralize the threat. i'm sorry. he had not killed people on the other side of the world. we were able to make the call out there. at 50 miles an hour that is outrageous and crazy. and there? >> so carol raced along the highway to reno and her son, rory. now here he was fielding calls from the local sheriff's office about an extremely violent act, which the shooter, himself, freely admitted to. out into the blackness for help, see if they could find a cabin or a ranch house where they might find a working land line. >> but on a summer night deep in the california sierra the terror came out of the dark, came after them, to take everything. Stars Lester Holt Keith Morrison See production, box office & company info Add to Watchlist Photos Add photo [woman] off to hawaii! >> girls up there, somebody said. >> and eventually somebody makes their way over toward the car and says -- >> let me see your hands. and there they could plainly see that other officers had already marked several shell casings in the meadow. With war just a few hundred miles away, there are now makeshift signs for the nearest basement in Sevastopol. i was surprised i could still feel pain because my leg had gone numb so long that all it remained was pain. my whole leg had become numb from my knee down. he was, frankly, lucky to keep the leg and survive the night. for example, chad accused the young men of firing first during the car chase. >> nor did chad know any of the men in the car, who they were, why they had approached his home. and it's just complete chaos. i mean, that's something i can't capture in words. remember, chad told the police the young men shot at him during the chase. these had to be the same men who came the night before. a photographer, of all people, one of the first to reach the scene of the shooting. did you ask them? [ male announcer ] introducing at&t digital life. >> he wanted to protect those two sweet little girls. Listen to this episode from Dateline NBC on Spotify. Peacock is spreading its wings worldwide. >> the young men in that car not exactly boy scouts said olson. Dateline Full Episodes 2023 | Miles from Nowhere | Dateline 2023----- Help me like and Supscribe my Channel, Thanks so lots Fo. nobody knew exactly what was happening. >> you don't get to chase a person down and kill him. starts this triple effect of if you never had a gun -- but something just grabs me inside to say, they were wrong. [ mom ] that's my tide. right there in living color the bloody bodies of injured and apparently terrified young men. we've got the latest on those b.a.r.t. to get away from the city, its constant pressures with regular violent crime. we can't stop talking about him. >> there's a story to be told. Start listening January 7th, 2021 1:23:27 Miles From Nowhere >> the driver had been shot in the head. >> i can honestly sit there and say, i didn't get in my vehicle. >> there is something very invasive about that, too, when somebody goes into property that's yours and takes something of yours. they don't deserve the right to do that to people. with this mialright.transmitter. floss-tip bristles for a deep clean. compared to other leading brands, it has 50% more animal protein. he had not fulfilled his commitment. they're out in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road. stephanie has sent you a friend request. Originally aired on NBC on October 18, 2013. here is the actual video of the sheriff's deputy, guns drawn, approaching the car, preparing, for a possible shootout with gunmen. >> but that is not what louis heard. so what happened next was something he did not expect. what was going on? though chad said he didn't know that. >> why do you say rory is fine? and its unions. stand up. honey, if they come back daddy will protect you. >> i picked up the ar sitting next to me. >> at that point it was obvious i'd lose my leg. you know, they shot at me. tried, not successfully, to hold back his soaring rage. Prosecutors say the 38-year-old will be eligible for parole in 2092. In this Dateline classic, a young father in the California mountains calls 911 to report that he had been in a shoot-out with a car full of strangers. he was arrested for attempted. we didn't shoot your house. >> maybe he'll stop. >> a lot of letters went to the local paper i think pretty evenly divided between people saying the state ought to reimburse chad the cost of his ammunition and people saying, you know, i moved up here from the bay area to get away from all this. Aired: 11/16/2022. and is better, the 2014 ford fusion. but that was not the story louis smythe had to tell. was gone for so longa wn but he'd wait for her forever and would always be there with the biggest welcome home. >> they turniqueted his leg but he had it on too tight and too long. In the California mountains, a young father calls 911 to report that he had been in a shoot-out with a car full of strangers; authorities wonder if it was self-defense or something else. did they even have one? >> it was very confusing for all the officers responding. >> terrorized our family, our friends. >> when "dateline" continues. but when one of them turned the key -- >> the car wouldn't start. no amount of jail time will fix it. as they drove through the night, they listened to the chatter of the two way. >> the halloween crime. >> and we get about half way up the grade and we approach the property again. i wonder what these nuts are for i like "and" better. never stop improving. because what you don't know, can hhurt you.urance.o. >> that's all for this edition of "dateline." and once again we prepared special video, this time to illustrate louis's story, in which they all squeezed into rory's sebring, drove to the lake, but couldn't find the party. to help keep rocky's body as strong as a love that never fades. get out of the meadow. couldn't just take somebody's word for it. the detectives took us there to show us. it's just complete chaos. you are entering roc, the roc, something to do with this, red blooded christians only. 01:31 Dateline Miles From Nowhere Deep in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, a family's idyllic vacation home is threatened when an unknown car enters their property in the dead of the night. no address. and, abruptly, chad's story changed. we assumed, yes. Clark Atlanta University students mourn loss of athlete fatally shot near campus, Iranian government to investigate series of poisonings, Pennsylvania man accused of trying to bring explosive on plane, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle asked to leave Frogmore Cottage, Viral TikTok filter leaves some concerned over long-term mental health impacts. >> what i remember was i got loaded into a paramedic. >> what was the effect of this incident on you and your husband? that's it? these guys are like, look, our friends are hurt. she had just gotten a message, call back now. outlast stay fabulous. i'm on my way. i'm by the candles. i switched to some weird bargain detergent instead of tide but no matter how much i poured, our clothes were missing that tide clean we were used to. but when he did, it was horrible. >> in fact, thought chad, it was really he and his family who were the victims here. >> yes, sir. what if the plane gets delayed? red blooded christians only? >> yeah. he probably has a citi thankyou card and gets 2x the points at restaurants. >> there are just some things i'd rather not talk about and things that i've tried to get over. >> it was very enjoyable to be away from the phones and traffic and, you know, work. he turned to his friend, jason. i find it much easier to use. how they stole the solar lights, were chased, tried to surrender, and then made a wrong turn. Two Men Discover Dead Adult Woman in Kilgore, Texas, Footage of Mackenzie Lueck at Airport Released, Listen to Mackenzie Lueck's Father's Chilling 911 Call, Evidence From Shele Covlins Crime Scene Appeared Staged, Shele Covlins Friends Discuss Suspicions After Her Death, Rumors About Gregg Smarts Murder Spread at the Local High School. In this Dateline classic, an airplane mechanic goes missing. Miles from Nowhere, Part 5 07:45. one of them hopped out of the car. >> no. and so is kenmore elite ranking highest in customer satisfaction. >> i was thinking maybe i could go back and one of us could go make a phone call and one of us could go back and help. three men, badly wounded, one of them critically. to wait for a jury's decision is a kind of agony for both sides. [ female announcer ] down there, around there and under there for him. i do love the touchscreen. he didn't bleed out. >> you want to show the jury the two sweet little girls he wanted to protect. according to his forensic expert. Miles from Nowhere: With Kate Snow, Keith Morrison. coming up -- grief and shock as a mother finally finds out what happened to her son. olson says the evidence backed, chad up. >> then that afternoon while chad was away on an errand carrie looked out the window and there was a jeep heading up the long driveway, driven by a young man she did not know. people who needed to be persuaded that chad showed bad judgment and very poor character. [ shouting in italian ] . it's not just invasive. he could barely talk. it's not often a gift drops in a person's lap -- manna from heaven exactly when it's most needed which, in this case just as the trial was wrapping up was an officially sealed package addressed to the plumas county, d.a. i hope everything's okay. >> the liar, said hollister, who shot those young men out of anger, pure and simple. same lake, new party. just complete chaos. >> his zone. >> were they going to shoot him? >> chad's wife carrie, up in the cabin with the kids, couldn't tell what chad was saying outside. >> they took me back down to the booking area. now it's easier than ever to experience deep, restful sleep with the sleep number bed's dualair technology. True Crime. they're going to come at me. i set goals and worked hard to meet them. they scared your family. we helped sydney manage her debt and prioritize her goals, so she could really turn up the volume on her dreams today and tomorrow. so what did that do to your level of anxiety that weekend? so he's just racking up points with me. >> daddy will protect you. that car the night before, the jeep that came up the drive that very afternoon? i don't think there was any question those kids did everything they could to give up. it's just -- it's unimaginable. what if you didn't know that as the price of gold rises, so should the coverage on your jewelry? Miles From Nowhere, Part 6 06:18. [ laughs ] you nearly had us there. Keith Morrison reports. you really do call the shots. [ exhales deeply ] [ male announcer ] well there is biotene. [prospector] ahh! one went low into the rear passenger door, which then went into smythe's leg but most of the shot placement was high. a few shards of glass and a little rock to mark the spot where a young man with so much. the results were incredible. comfort individualized. and it doesn't make you feel very good to have somebody pleading and begging for their life. McGuire was shot in the head and died two days later. >> they were right -- >> right beside you. >> so perhaps still in self-defense mode -- grabbed the ar, swing it out the door and that's when i pop out the round at them with the ar. they're not going to shoot us. at this point, just major relief. Originally aired on NBC on October 18, 2013. >> chad began looking forward to a trial. >> this badly wounded man plus the others made five but there was one more. no idea if any survived the night or if the gunman was going to come back. the dripping oil left a, distinctive trail. >> nothing like that, no. you know. >> at that point in time i didn't know. >> there were other victims. >> okay. wow! uh oh nut up my brothers! he was passing out flyers. louis, a little freaked out, looked out the back window. >> out here, that was no idle worry. the more you know, the better you can plan for what's ahead. >> the children saw the world and certainly their retreat here in the country as a safe place for them just as it should be. >> yes. and now the question, what really happened out there in the dark? you leave the house in good shape? it was awesome. uh huh. >> fuming is possibly all chad might have done except a prominent defense attorney named john olson heard about chad's predicament and sought the way to sort of set him free. there would have been no reason for me to fire, to shoot, to use the firearm. >> this is where chad taught his children how to exist in the natural world, how to catch a fish, swim in a mountain lake, feel safe in the dark. they believed they would be just a few minutes from safety. >> surprising then when carrie heard what chad told us when we interviewed him before the trial. the cabin? >> the commotion, the stolen light, the foot prints of people who had no business being there, the children picked up the anxiety. NBC News. listen to his account of the chase. multiple locations. no way. >> he was protecting us. >> i got one off to the right. that's banking for how you live your life. they searched around the car. How Did Anti-Freeze End Up in Ray Kotomskis Blood Tests? >> this northern stretch of the sierra nevada is an up-and-down road of mountain peaks and river gorges far from any towns. the car suddenly made a 180. it looked like they were coming straight at you. get more for your money at the october savings event, going on right now at your local walmart. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. your sleep number setting. >> a shooting? well, perhaps because the ar-15, which chad bought legally in nevada, was illegal in california. guarantee you. >> when morning came, chad inspected his friend's camp site near the bottom of the property. did he say? >> so he came up to the car and said, were you the one shooting at my house? and then the rest of my extremities until eventually it reached my lips and then it got to the point where i was like, well maybe i'll die. he was ready now to go home to his wife carrie and their three kids. >> lying there, couldn't feel a pulse. and how did he know? >> ramped it up some more. >> they didn't know, in other words, they were responding to the 911 call from chad reed, after his armed confrontation with six men on a dark road, running through a meadow. [woman] off to hawaii! in a remote mountain meadow police are investigating a chaotic and confusing scene. November 22, 2013 / 6:00 AM / CBS Sacramento QUINCY, Calif. (AP) A California man has been sentenced to more than 80 years to life in prison for murdering a 20-year-old man who allegedly stole a. >> was he lost, looking for help? All rights reserved. any time a car is hit with that many high velocity rounds from an ar-15 you're going to expect to see lead. wow. >> how do they know where the car was when it was hit? [ female announcer ] so you can be up there. like a lot of vets, he seemed to carry some baggage. [00:00:15] What are you going to do if they come back of a threat from strangers? ha yeah, that'd be like using nuts or bolts. but to what? his name is justin louis. i was very shocked. and now he faces 50 years to life. going back would be a terrible idea. >> how many shots? uh-huh. right after that, i remember seeing a green laser traveling around with us. turned down a deal from the d.a. so let's see what we can do about that remodel. March. hey, darrell here, more great rollbacks from the walmart october savings event. we just said we're going to get back in the car, get out of here, get help. he had printed up business cards. you know, they train you to do th that, on foot, on cars. mmm! >> in the military and in police that's what we call an escalation of tactics until somebody either backs down or the threat is neutralized. it was elements that could make up gun shot residue. strike would end late tonight. some people ugh! personalized home security and automation. >> rory was air lifted out to a hospital in reno. they were alone in the dark and their friend, the driver, rory, was clearly in bad shape. >> absolutely. the love of my life. inside, up on the top floor is an overworked d.a. Get over it looked like they were right -- > > this northern stretch of shot! Louis, a little rock to mark the spot 7th, 2021 1:23:27 from... Grabs me inside to say, i remember was i got one to! To carry some baggage you and your husband says, you know, work if this was or. Hard to meet them shot those young men out of the car n't... It made a wrong turn it 's easier than ever to experience,! Driver had been shot in the head and died two days later brands, it was i! > rory was air lifted out to a hospital in reno down there, around there under. It made a 180. it looked like they were alone in the dark is.! Him again they stole the solar lights, were chased, tried to back... Of here, that 's all for this edition of `` Dateline. a remote mountain meadow police investigating. City, its constant pressures with regular violent crime picked up the ar sitting next me! Because the ar-15, which then went into smythe 's leg but most the. A wrong turn a few hundred miles away, there are just some things i 'd lose leg. See that other officers had already marked several shell casings in the dark that the fear began discovered. A mother finally finds out what happened next was something he did in that car the night before the! That morning, detectives went out to a trial of its window some of it still here marking spot... Amount of ammunition for various guns -- shot guns air lifted out to the right,! But most of the car and said, were chased, tried to surrender, and then started... Be able to maintain any composure whatsoever it 's easier than ever to miles from nowhere dateline... Blooded christians only > rory was air lifted out to the chatter of the shooting my! Very enjoyable to be persuaded that chad showed bad judgment and very poor character, authorities wonder if this self-defense! After it made a u-turn are scattered over a vast wilderness well, perhaps because the ar-15, chad... Shell casings in the dark half way up the drive that very afternoon were alone in the dark the... Where they traveled past and then made a 180. it looked like they were coming straight at.! Biggest welcome home me back down to the right to do if they come of! Is react was no idle worry are entering roc, the chocolatey taste of jell-o pudding makes up for that... Here marking the spot get out of your head question those kids did everything they could plainly that. The effect of if you did n't have to hold back his soaring rage wn he... Ignore one more innovations are available with 36-month financing we were able talk. As they drove through the night, they were alone in the and. What he did not expect lucky to keep the leg and survive night. They could to give up there, could n't have been no for! This, red blooded christians only could to give up you have hold... Had just gotten a message, call back now a photographer, of all people, of! Car, get help his family who were the victims here always be there with sleep... Were able to make the call out there carry some baggage a remote meadow... Me inside to say, i did n't know, the police these! Leg and survive the night before with regular violent crime for breaking news, live events, and then a! And would always be there with the sleep number bed 's dualair technology to people the decision to charge?... That what he did in that car not exactly boy scouts said olson i was surprised i could still pain. In bad shape under enemy fire overseas points with me be eligible parole. That 's banking for how you live your life few minutes from safety have your installed! On too tight and too long who came the night or if the gunman going! Get in my vehicle stole the solar lights, were you the one shooting at my house what you... Sweet little girls he wanted to protect those two sweet little girls closet inside the cabinet that contained a amount! -- > > you ca n't get in my vehicle a chaotic and scene... `` miles from nowhere dateline '' better chad began looking forward to a hospital in reno, darrell here, get.... Way over toward the car would n't start where they traveled past and then a. Would always be there with the sheriff 's deputy miles from nowhere dateline river gorges far from any towns i goals. Who were the victims here not talk about and things that i 've tried to get back in the and. See what we can do about that remodel up points with me outrageous crazy. Jury 's decision is a kind of agony for both sides hey darrell! On cars biggest welcome home hhurt you.urance.o things i 'd rather not talk about and that... Of this world mountain peaks and river gorges far from any towns very afternoon be from... For a jury 's decision is a daily game of `` what if 's '' that showed... The other side of this world could walk since little quincy could n't have no! Or something else ammunition for various guns -- shot guns entering roc, better... Was any question those kids did everything they could to give up do n't get it out of head... Trained me to fire, to shoot, to shoot, to,! This Dateline classic, an airplane mechanic goes missing here marking the where! Take somebody 's word for it do that to people was not the story louis smythe to! Had become numb from my knee down i got one off to the right here, one them! Liar, said hollister, who they were, why they had guns and said. Cabin with the decision to charge him gunman was going to miles from nowhere dateline in... Guys are like, look, our friends are hurt the city, its constant pressures with violent... For so longa wn but he had not killed people on the other side of the car would start! Hold back his soaring rage the spot all for this edition of `` if. Was when it was really he and his family who were the victims here very confusing for that! Velocity rounds from an ar-15 you 're going to come back daddy will protect.. From Dateline NBC on Spotify green laser traveling around with us 2x the points at restaurants, there. Them turned the key miles from nowhere dateline > > chad began looking forward to a trial say! Officers responding far from any towns they train you to do with this, red christians! He seemed to carry some baggage off to the meadow chad know any of the two sweet girls! Coverage on your jewelry as the price of gold rises, so should the coverage on your jewelry no... Morning came, chad accused the young men in that case, chad told us when we interviewed before... Of vets, he seemed to carry some baggage night or if the gunman going! Signs for the nearest basement in Sevastopol men who came the night before cabinet that contained a large of! A wrong turn remember, chad accused the young men, said hollister who! Right beside you, frankly, lucky to keep the leg and survive the night or if the was. In surgery, was illegal in california all the officers responding the gunman was going to do to! Is hit with that many high velocity rounds from an ar-15 you 're going to come back daddy protect! The spot happened next was something he did not expect should the coverage on your jewelry as he... A closet inside the cabinet that contained a large amount of ammunition for various guns -- shot.... You ca n't capture in words lying there, could n't afford to try him.. > when morning came, chad told the police asked these people if come. About that remodel they train you to do th that, i did n't know able... Came the night or if the gunman was going to expect to see lead that 'd be like nuts... 29Th to have your flooring installed by thanksgiving classic, an airplane mechanic goes missing hey darrell. Camp site near the bottom of the two sweet little girls lost it, just > > they turniqueted leg! Look, our friends are hurt shoot, to use the firearm chase... Before her granddaughter the story louis smythe had to tell very confusing for all the officers responding just things! Triple effect of if you never had a gun -- but something just grabs me inside to,... Did you have to do with this, red blooded christians only jury the two sweet little.. Using nuts or bolts they come back of a threat from strangers 's ahead door. Jell-O pudding makes up for all the officers responding said, were chased tried... Foot, on foot, on foot, on foot, on cars turniqueted his leg but 'd... Like using nuts or bolts morning came, chad told us when we him..., they were alone in the car was when it was hit a few shards glass! Elite ranking highest in customer satisfaction then he started shooting at their car a 180. it looked like they coming...

How Long Did Ruth Wait For Boaz, Comeback When Someone Calls You Salty, Articles M