The first 14 years were rather dull, with black and white print, a few meteorological maps and dozens of unimaginative and dull scientific texts. The most interesting topics covered so far would be: 100 Ideas that Changed the World, Are We Alone [in the Universe], Founding Fathers, Best of Europe: 100 Must-See Destinations. Actually, each special edition has an appeal of its own. For those collectors now interested in completing their collections after the 1964 reprints were published, the 1908 through 1914's (especially in VG) instantly became difficult to find. 35 $16.99 $16.99. Among the vintage magazines available today, the first volume of the National Geographic Magazine is one of the most valued. This changed in 1904 when an editor got directed by the printer to include 11 more pages in the publication. Magazine Antiques Vol. But I've also seen a Fine August 1905 with map supplement go for $27. But first, lets discover a little bit about the background of National Geographic magazines what makes them so famous and highly valued today? It is incredibly hard to get hold of this issue, and almost impossible to find it in mint condition. View more in our National Geographic Magazine Price Guide. National Geographicis an American magazine specializing ineducating the publiconscience,history, andculture. Completeness a complete magazine is considered to be one containing the original maps or other inserts the issue was distributed with. When you consider the number of NGMs issued over more than 130 years of publication you can see how involved collecting becomes with the need to evaluate each individual magazines quality. A "fine" copy, in the US would be valued at around $6.00 - though many attempt to sell them for far more. This forest expanse is one of the most protected regions of the Northern California coastal forests. 14 - 18, $208.05 ?? Volume 1, 1888: first publication. However, these issues rarely go above $5000, as they are usually priced between $2000 to $5000. They got produced according to the numbers of the National Geographic Society members, which numbered in the hundreds. Back to top Some of the most valuable National Geographic Magazines include: The first edition of the National Geographic Magazine culled from Medium.com. They are usually map inserts, but in the recent years they also printed removable fold-out posters or maps. Lets have a look at the best way to preserve your magazine to maintain its condition. This issue has a much sought after pictorial that was quite often cut out of the magazine, thus making a complete issue (with supplement) hard to find. She came back to study the baby gorilla the next year as part of her (Doctor of Philosophy) Ph.D. For her Ph.D. project, she decided to teach Koko words in sign language. 2-8, 17, 18, $400.0021 Feb 2016 Vols. New World Maps . I've seen Aug 1914 with map supplement go for over $100. He told the team that the girl had left many years earlier to the Tora Bora region of Afghanistan. Although its designs are very basic and unsophisticated, the first edition holds a special place in many hearts. The first volume consists of 4 issues, and the second volume consists of 5 issues. One of the most recognizable covers of it and any other magazine comes fromJune 1985. In its first half-dozen years the National Geographic Magazine was published on an "occasional" basis. Many people refused to part with the pages they had just read and so they started collecting them, resulting in collectors across the world today who keep on to their copies of the iconic yellow-squared magazine for various reasons. The Joe DiMaggio 1939 issue typically sells for around $150 as of 2014. This forced Steve McCurry to search for the girl from time to time with the National Geographic team. and the condition of each. The above are some of the most valuable editions of National Geographic Magazines out there. As such, they are the rarest of all National Geographic publications and the most costly as well. The first thing to know is that the most valuable issues of National Geographic are generally those published before 1907. What age group reads National Geographic? National Geographic stories take you on a journey that's always enlightening, often surprising, and unfailingly fascinating. Mar 2017 Vols. This gorilla, Hanabiko Koko, got taught up to 1000 words in a modified American Sign Language. Required fields are marked *. The magazine has a growing fan base in multiple parts of the world including the UK, Australia and the United States. The value of your old National Geographic magazines can even be worth thousands of dollars. I like to useVery Good (VG) as a benchmark {there exists no accepted standard grading system for NG magazines though I am trying to address this with my Grading Guide}andwould describe this quality as: "There can be minor soiling, creasing (two minor tears) with moderate surface wear on the cover with moderate reflectivity andfading. These factors affect the ultimate value of that publication. The most valuable National Geographic maps are hard to pinpoint. Nine months after its establishment, these men decided to create a scholarly journal for club members. Although many people were milling around him and there was dust all around, he knew he had to take it. no sales broke into the top 3 for this issue for the fourth year in a row. National Geographic Magazines 1920-1983 Vintage Print Ads; YOU PICK Issues! I have captured the highest three sales per issue per year (discarding lower priced sales). In1910, the magazine published its first colored photographs five years later. The search can be filtered by publication year and month, publication name, condition, and price. eBay: http://www.ebay.com/gds/A-Guide-to-Selling-National-Geographic-Maga An old book collector once told me that for a book to be rare there had to be fewer than 1000 copies printed and to be scarce fewer than 10,000 copies printed. Which National Geographic Magazines Are The Most Valuable? The value of National Geographic magazines depends on date, rarity, cover features, articles, and overall significance. Start Exploring Now magazine In Library Old Magazines 2nd Edition Godey's Lady's Book and Magazine Price Guide to Old Magazines Please review the notes below the table as my collection criteria can be a bit confusing, especially where it applies to year of bound issues: Volume Sale 1 Date Sale 2 Date, 1 $20,155.00 * none, 2 $8,400.00++ 4/6/12, 3 $13,201.00 * $5,500.00++ 4/6/12, 4 $5,000.00++ 8/18/11, 5 $2,550.00 * $1,020.00++ 4/6/12, 6 $1,530.00++ 4/6/12, 7 $1,050.00 ** $525.00 *, 8 $1,044.00 ** $522.00 *, 9 $1,245.00 ** $510.00+ ?/?/13, 10 $3,075.00 ** $1,025.00 *, 11 $662.00 ** $399.99+ 10/20/15, 12 $375.00 * $335.00+ 6/27/17, 13 $4,924.00 ** $912.00 *, 14 $371.00+ 6/27/17 $355.00 *, 15 $481.00 * $371.00+ 6/27/17, 16 $357.00 * $208.05+ 3/23/14, 17 $195.00+ 4/29/14 $152.50+ 6/27/17, 18 $202.50 * $180.00+ 8/4/12, 19 $356.00++ 6/15/17 $150.00++ 3/20/13, 20 $110.00+ 2/22/14 $107.00 *, 21 $69.00 Jan-Jun 1/11/14 $107.50 *, 22 $120.00 11/13/17 $105.00 *, 23 # $94.99 11/13/12 $79.99+ 10/22/12, 24 $199.99Jan-Jun 11/27/16 $175.00Jan-May11/16/17, 25 $70.00 8/16/14 $56.25 3/30/13, 26 ## ##, 27 $95.00 12/17/13 $50.00 5/13/13, 28 ## $50.00 , 29 ## $55.00 11/07/17, 30 $65.00 11/15/17 $55.00 11/07/17, 31 $49.95 4/11/14 $25.004/10/13, 32 ## $25.00 . Altruistic motives set aside, the magazine is essentially highly collectable. Rare magazines in excellent condition are real treasures and fetch fast money. Its status has grown to the point that collectors judge an issue based on the beauty of its cover page. Now, there are alternatives to collecting. After all, they are the heart and soul of the magazine, but such copes are worth close to nothing. It features Sharbat Gula, a 12-year-old Afghan girl. However, sales of lower amounts for these formats have been observed. New Scientist Magazine. Besides being produced much earlier, vintage National Geographic Magazines are valuable because theyre rare. The most valuable issue of Life magazine is the April 13, 1962 issue covered by Liz Taylor and Richard Burton, which featured Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris baseball cards. A few platforms that you can visit for authentic National Geographic Magazines include: Its necessary to know how to take care of books if youre going to be a collector of vintage books. Professional photojournaliststake most of the pictures. Estate Sales (this section borrowed with permission from Dale Murphy - Dec 2010): Having spent some significant part of a lifetime collecting the items, how does one later realize their true market value? What's the average value of an old magazine? Gulnaz Khan is the climate editor at TED and a former editor at National Geographic. The image was featured on the cover of April 2002 issue. 68 No. If it is completely intact (small tears are acceptable as long as all the material is present) then the issue has the "possibility" of being Very Good (VG) in assessment. All this culminates in 36 early editions of the National Geographic Magazine, and these are some of the most valuable. Rare issues of National Geographic from the first collection, which has just four issues, have the greatest value, especially the earliest issue (Jan. 25, 1898). In that sense, the very first issue from October 1888 could, in todays market, be worth well over 6.000 US dollars! Actually, this year marks the 130th year of publication of a magazine that has turned the science of geography into a household name. Issues from between 1888-1900 usually fetch a few hundred USD. The transactions might not start happening instantly, so one must have patience, which shouldnt be hard for a true Nat Geo fan. This 1930s Barbasol advertisement recently sold for $12.95, which may not sound like a lot, but it is just one page from a magazine! Are they valuable? Michael required three weeks, lots of pulleys and rope, a large team, a gyroscope, and 84 differing images. First editions of any old publication are the vintage editions, and reprints are much lower in value. A vintage National Geographic Magazine is a rare treasure today, with many issues being in the hands of old families. Comprehensive as it may seem, it just cannot replace that feeling of holding the yellow-squared leaves of paper and going through halftone images. I came across an old magazine article from the 1950s or '60s, and was immediately captivated by a series of black and white photographs of a religious pilgrimage in the Himalayas . This magazine started small, with only the societys members getting any, but this changed many years later. VINTAGE 1921 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE 10 MAGAZINES W / 3 MAPS GOOD CONDITION. His short answer is, "The early issues certainly do." National Geographic dealers will pay at least $200 for issues published before 1905. eBay. Many thanks for this helpful information and for such a quick reply. Matt sells nearly every kind of magazine in his store, including Seventeen, Woman's Day, Time, McCall's, adding that The New Yorker, Billboard, and Vogue are some of the best-selling titles. WOW! It shows a woman from this Himalayan region wearing a turquoise hat as a symbol of opulence. Go to eBay and do a search for National Geographic Magazine. Youll find upwards of 20 thousand items listed. 5.0 out of 5 stars 2. Are the pages of the book torn, is the front cover still there, and is the map attachment still intact? Explorers House: National Geographic and the World It Madeby Robert M. Poole. So, have you caught the magazine collecting bug? Since then, the National Geographic Magazine got published every month. It has been published continuously since its first issue in 1888. In August 2012 I began collecting data on the years 1915 through 1917. The Society generally published only a few extra magazines above the membership numbers, thus the rarity of the first eight years of publications known as the "red brick" issues. As such, the professional photographers pushed to have their pictures included in an issue. Six dogs have appeared on the magazine's cover, but none sold more copies than Betsy the border collie for March 2008's " Animal . Are any National Geographic magazines worth anything? Photography has been the hallmark of the magazine ever since. After 17 years, the now grow-up woman named Sharbat Gula was found and photographed again wearing a purple burka. The second year ended with 228 members. If we were to utilize the comic book scale, the condition of individual copies would range from damaged to mint. However, in laymans terms, there are a few crucial quality factors that determine the value. 1, No 4 sold for $10,000.00 on eBay), and about ten times the value of the 1922 reprints. This gives them a special place in the hearts of many, and makes the issues highly collectable today. I joined the forum just yesterday and am already becoming quite enthusiastic in pursuing collecting NG mags as a retirement hobby. Since the first issue came out in October 1888, the magazine has had thousands of issues internationally, which makes even keeping track of all of them an impossible task. Many of them dating back to the 1950. For example, as of 2014, the January 1902 issue of National Geographic is valued at $816.50. Their primary subject matter includes geography, archaeology, biology and anthropology, but they have covered an astounding range of topics over the years. I have relearned this fact many times while purchasing on line. The whole project had more than modest beginning. This is something they have mastered during this more than 100 years of publication Journey. Average price: $35, April, 1913: In the Wonderland of Peru (first images of Machu Picchu). Bundle of National Geographic Magazine from July to December 1966 in Faux Leather sold on eBay for $35 in 2022. eBay. National Geographic has been criticized in the past for itsunenlightened approach to indigenous groups and minorities. National Geographic Kids focuses on all the subjects of most interest to kids ages 6 to 14. How Much Are National Geographic Magazines Worth. Even though it was in the era of mechanical cameras, he knew that the image would be spectacular. While expressing remarkable learning abilities, Koko also showed some capability in photography. You can see this from the pictures on the front covers, which usually feature trending characters or pop culture icons. Explore over 425 Million "sold for" prices with item details and images. This magazine has its roots in the United Kingdom and has been around since 1956. I may continue to look around within the UK market and perhaps I will end up keeping it for my grandchildren after all! If you're wondering how much you can earn selling your back issues, you should know that it can range. However, I have recorded large block sales of individual issues, complete bound (1888-1907) volume sets and unique sales. Eventually, the society released the magazine to the public. I need help. Although this magazine started as just words on paper, the importance of pictures got unveiled later. Although the advent of the internet has reduced its readership, many subscribers refuse to part with it. Beside the most famous one we mentioned at the beginning, other best photos of National Geographic might include a gorilla holding a camera from October 1978 or the shot of a volcanic eruption from the March 1975 edition. My father collected National Geographic and has bequeathed me a near complete collection from 1932-84. We have a Collectors Corner on our website, which includes a dealers list and a Collector's Forum where you can post a notice . Generally speaking, a book dealer will offer you far less to purchase your item than you can sell it for on eBay. Not only was production low preceding 1914, near 100K, the raw materials shortage of the war years (WWI) destroyed many paper products. Can I congratulate and thank you for posting this fantastic article which is incredibly helpful to beginners like myself just starting out and also for more experienced collectors. There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the specific magazine in question. Please check your browser settings or contact your system administrator. National Geographic is the most valuable magazine in the world, according to Forbes. Buying or selling on eBay can have unseen hazards for the uninitiated but a cautious and determined approach for either selling or buying has its rewards.

Why Do My Eyes Burn In The Shower, What Does A Positive Rat Test Look Like, Why Do Umpires Still Call Balls And Strikes, My Husband Said We Are Not Compatible, Articles M