Contact your local council for information, if there is a need to put spikes on your fence. Cat spikes can also cause problems with neighbours that are unhappy about the spikes being installed on shared fences. Its hardly surprising that you might get confused and not know how to go about it. Bird poop may be splattering or otherwise be visible on their side of the fence. Spikes may not be needed for most residential fences except fences on street frontages. Back in the day, it was a popular form of intruder deterrent commonly used around industrial premises and other areas to keep animal and human intruders out. torbrex PPR. 23/05/2022 14:02. The fence between my property and my neighbors property is down. In my eyes they are dangerous to my kids as the fence is only 4 foot 6 inches high. Most neighbors are kind, normal people. Adding trellis above your fence is a good way to keep burglars away as it makes it difficult for burglars to climb over. Cat spikes are ideal for the pet and owner since they dont have to think about their cat getting trapped inside if they are at work or out for the day. Of course he cannot legally attach anything to your fence. If you are going to fix spikes to your fence, make sure the wall is yours and not shared with your neighbour. I'm basically a saint compared to OP's neighbor but for a second I did think about it. Beyond simply talking to this neighbor, who, judging by the quality of the spikes, may very well be crazy, what can I do? NOW. Having said that of my only two neighbours close by one has a dog, and my garden back onto a large expanse of woodland- so my cats head out there to entertain themselves. Installing a fence directly on a shared property line opens up a new set of complications. We have three cats and our neighbour attacked metal spikes to his side of the fence. If spikes have been installed along a linear boundary, such as a wall or fence, then it should be ensured that signs are presented every 3 metres or less, to make certain they will be seen. Initially I was furious. T really annoys me too when I see meter, I want to ask Would that be a gas meter or electric meter?. OP: Do the spikes look anything like any of these? S4U is currently supplying the best cat spikes, they are safe and approved. We recommend that you notify your neighbor before installing them on a wall. Hi all, My mum and dad's psychotic next door neighbour has put large metal SHARP spikes on top of their fence. WebSpikes are legal to use in most states. ", Rhode Island Code Section 34-10-20 similarly states that: "A fence or other structure in the nature of a fence which unnecessarily exceeds six feet in height and is maliciously erected or maintained for the purpose of annoying the owners or occupants of adjoining property, shall be deemed a private nuisance, and any owner or occupant who is injured, either in the comfort or enjoyment of his or her estate thereby, may have an action to recover damages for the injury.". Personal and property safety has become an increasing concern for most people both in residential and industrial settings. neighbor to install anything on the fence. However, keeping these cats away is more difficult than you would expect. A guide discussing issues that may arise between neighbors on topics such as fencing, trees and noise. 3. Copyright 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Nolo Self-help services may not be permitted in all states. As detailed in this cat spike review article we have described the laws in the UK, if you still do not understand these laws and want to fix cat spikes without your neighbours approval then contact your local council for more information. WebAlso, legally, cats are classed as wild animals, not domesticated so there's not a lot of action your neighbour can take legally to stop your cat entering their garden. What can I put on my fence to stop burglars? 2.) Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[580,400],'gardenaxis_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_3',107,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-gardenaxis_com-medrectangle-4-0'); Since cats are free to wander, they will go into your backyard, poop, and then leave. We owned the fence, so it was okay. Except with video evidence, you cant complain to the council that your neighbors cat is pooing in your yard. Putting these pieces of evidence together, a court might order that your neighbor remove the fence, and possibly compensate you for the nuisance. If the owner refuses, the association or a neighbor can sue to enforce the rules. I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Can My Neighbor Record My Backyard (And My Property)? I'll chat with them tomorrow and get them removed - they should be aware the fence on our land as there is now a gap between the fence an a brick planter that they have. I genuinely dont know if there is or not, but its something to consider. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cat-hating-neighbour-creates-fence-6546263. They are a great solution for commercial and industrial properties, So also, the perfect anti-climb security spike solution for people in places of high crime, who need to store equipment and machinery at home. A friend's neighbours put spikes on top of their fence, and my friend's cat negotiated them with no problems at all, but after more than a month, one of the spikes was suddenly bent, and the cat got a big abcess under his chin. WebYes, once spikes become a danger, they are basically illegal. LegalAdviceUK exists to provide help for those in need of legal support in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The answer is no, they cant, not without your permission. If you want to stop people from climbing your fence, consider investing in a good fence. Share this conversation. How to Market Your Business with Webinars. Pay cat tax. Was the neighbor in residence when you built the fence? So Ill finish by simply saying to all the cat lovers out there, if a cat ran out in front of my car..I wouldnt brake. It covers the entire top, and the spikes are about an inch long. 1. It shows readers how to write a demand letter, file and serve papers, prepare and present a case, prepare evidence, and mediate an out-of-court settlement. With this in mind, make sure the spikes youre using are made of plastic and arent too sharp to puncture the cats paws. Can you bypass these issues by installing the fence just inside your property? But not all neighbors are considerate people. Make sure it is gluten free. State laws on fences and range restrictions. See the resources below for more information. A 2021 article from local news station KPRC 2 Houston discussing the new security measures law and some of the issues property owners are experiencing with their associations when attempting to install fencing on their property. Unless these folks are loony tunes, it probably won't go past step one. Safe, Legal & Effective Cat Spikes! Cat spikes are considered illegal if it is installed to harm cats. Security of lives and properties is very important. Check your insurance to see if the damage is covered under the terms of the policy. WebIf you are going to fix spikes to your fence, make sure the wall is yours and not shared with your neighbour. I held off on saying anything because I 1) wanted to see if I became less angry with time and I did and 2) definitely didnt want to cause a dispute. (What The Laws Say), How a Virtual Data Room Can Transform Mergers and Purchases. An article from legal self-help publisher Nolo about how to resolve boundary line disputes. Of course if the neighbour puts them in your fence again, I would suspect that they are likely causing criminal damage to your fence. Why you should never put a tall fence around your house? Cat spikes can also cause problems with neighbours that are unhappy about the spikes being installed on shared fences. So when he jumped down from the shed, he hit his chin on the spikes. Boundary line disputes may arise between adjoining neighbors for a variety of reasons. Dont use carpet gripper on your fence as its not designed for such use and would not stop a burglar climbing your fence (they simply put a coat over the top of it). Adding trellis to your fence not only keeps burglars away but also makes your fence look more attractive and unique. Maybe even ask them if there is a specific reason for the spikes, and if there are any other ways you can help mitigate those reasons without adding spikes to your fence. This is why you shouldnt set man-traps or hide carpet gripper behind the top edge of your fence! If they are happy with having spikes on the boundary wall or fence, then you can go ahead with it. Birds feed at the tables then fly to the fence and crap all over it before flying away, I know this as it is what they do to my neighbours fence after feeding in my garden. Keeping your neighbours on your side can be a bit of a balance and not a game you always want to play, but a dispute with your neighbours can not only make your life living hell, it can also cost a fortune and cause problems when you want to sell up. You might even want to consider filming yourself removing them - this way you can prove you took care in doing so (assuming you DO take care) and again, would reduce any risk of being accused of criminal damage. The fence is only 46 tall. 3.) 02/06/2018 06:59. 3 Can my Neighbour put spikes on my fence? Shop bought cat spikes are safe to use on your fences and boundary walls. If the neighbor's dog destroys part of the fence, technically you'd both be responsible for the cost of repair. Also cat tax has been paid - https://i.imgur.com/igYErWo.jpg, To Posters (it is important you read this section), Tell us whether you're in England, Wales, Scotland, or NI as the laws in each are very different. How are we doing? 1. The court can do one of three things: Order removal. WebFinland is building a 200-kilometer fence on the Russian border amid growing fears of security as Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine intensifies. In other words, the fence is the symptom, not the disease. Feel free to remove it. So youre hating on something for acting according to its nature, not out of malice or evil and yet you say you would deliberately run it over? Let them know you will not assume any responsibility for damage to their property resulting from removing the spikes from your property. We went to have a polite conversation but he literally told us to go get fucked so we bought a dog. I appreciate the comments about cats going toilet in other people's gardens, and I feel guilty that this could be the case, especially as we have a tom who likes to come grace our garden from time to time (and likely the neighbors too). I have found a dead blackbird, a dead chaffinch, two dead fish (I have since netted the pond), dead frogs & numerous dead or dying dormice. My My neighbour has just put sharp plastic spikes on the fence. These strips are approximately 20/30mm wide. In a TikTok video posted during the week of Feb. 20, 2023, creator @sharonblakely0 shared a rather divisive video of her neighbor shining a flashlight into her mothers bedroom at her residence. WebIf youre going to install spikes on your fence, make sure its yours and not your neighbors. If the fence is your property, it is illegal for a neighbor to attach something to it without your permission. Additional Because the fence will benefit both parties, your neighbors might be interested in sharing costs, and the conversation about property lines and fence maintenance will also become much easier. Foxs do not bury their poo. To stay above the law, you MUST only use blunt plastic spikes that will only make the cat feel uncomfortable. In most cases, you will be required to apply for council permission. 71.3K Posts. WebWhen youre splitting the fence cost with your neighbor, you need to want the same fence. WebAnswer A considerate neighbor in this situation would, of course, realize the impact of her decision and consult you. If your neighbour refuses, make them aware that if they dont remove within a reasonable timescale your will remove them yourself. Proportionally you risk getting into more bother than an owner would get into for their cat sunbathing on your fence. He must be at the end of tether to be putting spikes on the top of your fence. Texas law places the burden of proof to establish a claim of adverse possession on the trespasser. Is it legal to put carpet grippers on your fence? A TikToker shared that her angry neighbor shined a flashlight into her elderly mother's bedroom. A spite fence does not fall from the clear blue sky. I've seen opossum walk fences like squirrels. You can buy them in meter length and are glued or nailed on top of walls & fences ETC. They could try again and again before they realize what theyre up against and give up. Fast forward to today, neighbors never moved out, and at some point today (I don't know when as I was at work) they have installed plastic spike strips along the length of the fence. Many states have laws that regulate "spite fences." Cat spikes have a straightforward design and they can operate in the same way no matter the fixing you use. Likewise, is it illegal to put plastic spikes on your fence? Below you will find references to areas of Texas lawrelated to fences. Yes as soon as the spikes become a danger then they are basically illegal. 2 What can I put on my fence to stop burglars? We then informed the council about the accident as he was told to remove them for a plastic brand! Press J to jump to the feed. They also did it all round the rest of their garden and Im not sure they quite realised that one panel is actually ours. Therefore, anti climb spikes on top of the wall are allowed, so long as youve added a notice saying something like: Caution: danger of injury from fence spikes. We live in suburbia & I have counted 5 different cats in my garden. So for a neighbor to install anything on the fence, they will have to ask for permission. Stay clear of Mother Nature. If you remove them, take an image of them beforehand and remove them carefully to avoid any damage. These are very affordable materials for a DIY approach to cat-proofing your fence. You should report any neighbor who does this to your local council environmental officers to make a judgment about the fence. Yes, cat spikes work and will deter both cats and foxes from entering your garden. If the thing is still up after that remove it yourself or pay someone to remove it and bill your neighbour, when they dont pay sue in small claims. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'gardenaxis_com-box-4','ezslot_5',114,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-gardenaxis_com-box-4-0');If youre going to install spikes on your fence, make sure its yours and not your neighbors. I thought I was a bad person for praying someone found them one day and kept them. It's be a good idea to talk to them first and see what the intentions are and try to work with them on a solution. But the same law also says that duty has been discharged if youve warned people that the hazard exists, and that they can see it. To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account. Is it illegal to put carpet grippers on your fence? Of course if the neighbour puts them in your fence again, I would suspect that they are likely causing criminal damage to your fence. It will also stop any claims for compensation if anyone jumps your fence and gets injured. ,My cat just jumped down on to the fence and he yelped in pain. After this we contacted a solicitor about this and took the neighbour to court over the vet bills (350) and won the case because we had video evidence of the cat jumping up on his fence and cutting his paw! You can buy them in meter length and are glued or nailed on top of walls & fences ETC. This is all one piece, instead of having a separate fence and cat- proof overhang. That annoying cat maybe someones companion, who they love as much as you do your grandson. It makes perfect sense because it shows that youre not trying to injure anyone, youre just trying to stop them from climbing your fence. (How Close). The mere fact that you think your neighbor's house is painted an ugly color, or the neighbor has built a fence that doesn't match your own aesthetic taste, does not in most instances give you grounds for a lawsuit. Theses cat spikes were about 3 inches long and sharp as a pin! The cats dont kill for food, they play with their prey until they get bored, leaving it dead or in the worst cases injured to such an extent that again, I have had to put these wild creatures, that I have desperately been trying to attract into my garden, out of their misery. Cat spikes can also cause problems with neighbours that are unhappy about the spikes being installed on shared fences. The Dividing Fences Act 1991 regulates neighbours responsibilities towards dividing fences and is designed to settle the contentious aspects of sharing a fence. The fence is the type with wooden posts and then a continuous panelling along. They did. Its slightly sharpened tip makes it difficult for cats to walk on it. Adding trellis above your fence is a good way to keep burglars away as it makes it difficult for burglars to climb over. In the end he had a huge court bill and there are NO MORE spikes attached to his fence. People who harm children or animals are the worst kind of people. It is legal advice and removing the spikes and tresspassing your lunatic prepper of a neighbor is completely legal. How To Get Rid Of Ants Nests From My Garden? So the best way to stop cats from entering your garden is to deter them before they come. Apparently yes. Property Owners' Association research guide, Section 202.022 of the Texas Property Code, Section 202.023 of the Texas Property Code, POA Power Shift Legislature Gives Property Owners More Rights. Surely, the welfare of the cat is the responsibility of the owner, not the neighbours? SafeWise reports that fences that intruders would find difficult to climb or break through will offer you the most protection against theft. Cats have great memories and will not come back to the same place twice if they find it uncomfortable or painful. So, after a few months one of my cats popped his foot on one of the spikes. But its really to keep the squirrels from leaving their peanut shells in her garden I have taken 3 of them down,as I am so worried my cats will.get hurt. Cat feces carries the same bacteria as dogs which can cause ocular toxocariasis (blindness) in young children. The average cost of installing a fence is around 100 per panel according to MyBuilder. u/2020isbae agreed: "I'd have called the police the moment they said it. Last summer my 4 year old grandson went into the bushes in my garden to retrieve his ball. Please take our patron satisfaction survey. In that situation, if you want to force the neighbor to remove the fence, you might turn to the courts and sue your neighbor for what's known as "private nuisance.". Please take our patron satisfaction survey! Could it be for birds? This section of the law specifies that you have the right of privacy for your domestic and family life, which you may claim is being abused by the owners or authorities feces. This is why you shouldnt set man-traps or hide carpet gripper behind the top edge of your fence! Texas Fence Law: Open Range.or Not? They look really tacky and I don't appreciate them being on my fence. This publication from the Texas Association of Counties is written in a Q & A style and covers relevant statutes and case law surrounding open and closed range status. Spikes are one of the best Intruder deterrents. The fence must be at least 7 ft tall. An article from the Texas A&M Real Estate Center discussing all the laws passed in 2021 relating to property owners' associations including those related to swimming pool enclosures and security measures. I didnt pay out for a brand new fence run to have those eye sores on the top!! We had a similar issue. I also dont really notice them anymore. This is not uncommon in suburban areas. Our neighbors on the opposite side, across the alley, have mentioned the cats go in their garden and approach them for strokes and stuff, but not mentioned them going to the toilet.

Greg Kelly Football Player, Articles N