Small world. The last Howard Johnsons that i know of was in Lake George NY. Shown here is Wetson's of Rego Park at. It was a great treat for kids whose parents couldnt afford to eat out, best part of the trip. Wetson's from $25.00 Schoenling Beer Cincinnati's Finest from $25.00 "Sho Nuff" Cherry Ice Cream Soda from $25.00 Toy Tiger Holographic Sticker $4.00 Dawn Donuts $20.00 $29.00 Sale Vintage Burger Chef from $25.00 Fatt Dog from $25.00 Kahiki Supper Club from $25.00 Jan 26, 2022 barcelona third kit 2016/17 Comments Off. As we were enjoying our fries a bunch of young toughs came in , asked if they could have some of our fries and ride our bikes. My favorite Wetsons meal was a Super Burger and their fries. The best ever in the 70s. Left in June of 70 (entered the service) and turned my spot over to my best friend, Dave Jennings. I worked at the Wetsons on Sunrise Hwy. Today we discuss what happened to Wetson's, a chain of 70 hamburger restaurants based in New York that suddenly disappeared in the 1970s. the burger joint was razed in 1976 and there The one on old country road became a record shop for awhile. Luigi terapiccio. Defunct 1970 Wetson's Hamburger Restaurant New York Metropolitan Classic T-Shirt. It Preceeded McDonalds in the Greater NY area. Hey you. You neglected to mention Bellerose/Floral Park, on Jericho Tpke. Are you from Valley Stream? In Roslyn, NY. I remember going to Wetsons after school, in Bay Shore. I remember getting a burger, fries, and a shake that were THE BEST. Anyone remember the Westons sponsored race care at Freeport Speedway in 1960s- orange and black I believe. IT was a short cut from our house in Rolling Woods. It was the only fast food restaurant in town. After the record store closed it stayed like that for awhile when it was vacant but the new people (Dunkin Donuts???) My cousin worked there in 71. Home; About; Our Food; Menu; Gallery; Blog; Order Online! O, the good old days! A runza (also called a bierock, krautburger, or kraut pirok) is a yeast dough bread pocket with a filling consisting of beef, cabbage or sauerkraut, onions, and seasonings. Also, I think McDonalds stole the big W to make big mac. CONDITION GUARANTEED. Any Chance the Slo Jacks in Hampton Bays was a Wetsons? Fresh beef available in the contiguous U.S., Alaska and Canada. Same building with different signage and except for the addition of hot dogs, fried clams and breakfast sandwiches, the menu was the same. I grew up on 48th between Broadway and Northern Blvd, down the street from Bryant HS. Wetson's was known for its signature burger, the "Big W", as well as 15-cent burgers, 10-cent fries, and the slogans "Look for the Orange Circles" and "Buy a bagful," phrases similar to the McDonald's slogan "Look for . White Manna 329 reviews Open Now American, Diner $ 1.0 mi Hackensack "The burgers were good." "Order ahead" 2. The one in the corner of Oceanside road and sunrise hwy, in Rockville center,that turned into whether teachers to taco bell..awsome.i still live on the same block and talked about it all the time.all the orange seats I remeber.walking up with the family and sitting on the booths. We thought it was great. They seemed tremendous to me at the time. Brought back fond memories of my childhood . Wetsons was my first job, I was 15 and worked on 86th St and 7th Ave in Brooklyn. As soon as it was finished, we would cut out on Fridays to buy lunch there. THE BEST FOR ME. One on Boston Avenue (US Route 1) and one on Main Street in downtown Bridgeport. It was the first fast food I ever had, at age 4. Ummmm Wetsons!! I remember my father taking the family there for burgers (when people actually cooked) as a treat before heading to the Sunrise drive in for a double feature. Wasnt it a Minute Man burger joint before that? I was trying to find relatives of the original owners of Wetsons to let them know (just in case those were the last orange rings still in existence) in case they wanted them when they were removed but wasnt successful gave up too soon I guess. As a kid New Hyde Park Long Island, Wetson's Hamburgers 1966 by Long Island $15.99 USD SKU 121319 Pay in 4 interest-free installments for orders over $50.00 with Learn more Options Quantity Add to cart Share this: All purchased images are printed without the watermark. & Pine St. Loved it and every bit as good as McDonalds. Jimmy was Greek. In 1975, unable to compete with the behemoths, Wetsons finally threw in the towel and closed all of their location. My father owned the wetsons in hempstead.also the wetsons in Franklin square.the only picture Ive seen of a wetsons has a sunbeam alpine parked in the parking lot.that picture is the hempstead store and that car belonged to my father. Just one thing wrong with the list up top..Bay Shore, (not West Islip) had to Wetsonsthe one on Sunrise Highway & Pine Drive was in Bay Shore, and was a very interesting location due to its place near number one, Gardner Manor Shopping Center, & number two, that any traffic coming from Bay Shore Road from points west, was detoured to a short stretch of Pine Drive, then east on Sunrise Highway to Howells Road to continue to Downtown Bay Shore or points east.a VERY BUSY intersection. There were 2 Wetsons in Valley Stream on Sunrise Hgwy. Wetson's was an American fast-food chain that operated from 1959 to 1975 and was known for its signature "Big W" burger, as well as 15-cent burgers and 10-cent fries. Anyway great memory! i still own pictures and a plastic hand puppet of wetsons. We used to live behind the VS Wetsons which was built after we moved there. Even though Im retired now Id go back to work there in a heartbeat. I lived one block away. No, youre not. I really miss those days when a dollar went much farther than today. then after DD remodeled the place the rings were removed. I used to stop in that Wetsons to get pea shooter straws. and Astor Pl. Saturday Night Fever. Marine Midland was bought up by Manufacturers Hanover around 1986/7. For a brief time there were actually two Wetsons operating simultaneously within a few blocks of each other in Valley Stream. That would be in Maspeth on Flushing Av. Thank you so much for posting this! I think maybe back then, they used real meat & all. Menu. We went undefeated in 71-72. Danbury, CT, White Street WETSON'S HAMBURGERS-BUY A BAGFUL-NEW YORK CITY-ORIGINAL 1950s ERA DRINK CUP Wetson's Hamburger Buy A Bagful 1960-era lPaper Cup Long Island New York 1968 WETSON'S HAMBURGERS CHEESEBURGER SALE AD 4" X 10" Newspaper Clipping M262 WETSON'S HAMBURGERS-BUY A BAGFUL-VINTAGE 1960s ERA UNUSED BEVERAGE CUP I turned red, because I thought we did something illegal.lol Their hamburgers were good. Syosset was where I went.5 yrs old.a couple of families would pile in the station wagons( with the back seats that faced each other)I remember the glowing arch circles at night as you were pulling up. Vets, Camaros Hmmmmm. I would always drive past that place and wondered if any of the DD employees knew the history of that building. There was also a Carvel nearby on the same side of Sunrise. Went to the one on Hylan Blvd a lot! Sale Description. Was there ever a Wetsons located on Flatlands Ave off Ralph Ave. , Brooklyn. In Rockville Centre during high school and have such great memories of that place! yea the one at the end of the Clearview expressway on Hillside Ave. Is it possible there was one in Bellport as well? I went to the one in Bayshore New York on Long Island with my parents as a kid in late 60 early 70s. Except I do remember the manager Gus was constantly scolding any of the customers who had there feet up on the benches of the eating booths. I still remember the Hazlet location on Hwy. Wetson's menu was practically identical to McDonald's, with hamburgers, french fries, drinks and shakes. I grew up in Lynbrook, right across the border from Valley Stream. I used to live in Valley Stream NY. We print the highest quality wetsons hamburgers t-shirts on the internet. Grew up eating their burgers and fries. I remember stopping by the Wetson's in Far Rockaway, Queens,NYC with my parents..near where my grandparents had a summer place during the early 1960's. I enjoyed eating their burgers, fries and sodas. Think White Castle in Hempstead was the only other fast food burger place around at the time. I used to go to the one on sunrise hwy in valley stream. I went to PS 151. ), I recall the highlight of a visit to the Westons in bay shore was feeding the ducks in the pond. I loved the burgers. The first Original Pancake House opened in 1953 in Portland, Oregon, by Les Highet and Erma Hueneke, who collected recipes for their restaurant from around the world. Remember it well. The chain started growing in popularity by the 1960s, and it became a culinary mainstay, with its slogan "Everybody goes to Gino's." Gino's Hamburgers Brooklyn, Location Empire Blvd corner of Utica Avenue across from White Castle and Cheverlet Car Dealership.Best Vanilla Shakes in the world. Started making 95 cents an hour with 10 cents going to the union. Sponsored. Six days a week front 1 A.M. to 8 choppers chop, mixers mix, grinders grind and 15 pattty machines turn out 150,000 hamburgers at Schloesser Weingarten. I love that memory. Saturday afternoon going to the South Shore Mall and then to Wetsons: a Long Island kids dream weekend. Miss Wetsons. Wetson's was known for its signature burger, the "Big W", as well as 15-cent burgers, 10-cent fries, and the slogans "Look for the Orange Circles" and "Buy a bagful," phrases similar to the McDonald's slogan "Look for the Golden Arches" and White Castle's "Buy 'em by the sack". bands gold crest emblazoned on the jacket. Was the All-American Burger on Merrick Road in Massapequa originally a Wetsons? He realized the management counted the BUNS, but not the patties, and the CUPS, but not the amount of soda or shakes. Unforgettable burger. I recall that even after DD moved in, they kept the building as is, including the orange rings. Loved it and every bit as good as McDonalds. Starting to sound like my parents when I was young when they told me about their good old days when everything cost a nickellol!! Memories are fading a bit so thats about all I recall. The manager would make us punch out if we didnt clean up fast enough at closing time, then go finish up. It was a good burger. Two brothers from Europe that made their own wonderful ice cream . I lived on 194th street and Northern Blvd ,I remember Watsons before they built in and they were giving away free hamburger coupons the week before it opened they were the best better than McDonalds wish they were around now !!! Here you will find the best burger recipes including classic hamburgers, sliders, cheeseburgers, and more! We always stopped for lunch, off to Bargintown, in Queens, and Dinner in Oceanside at Nathans. I remember the Wetsons on Middle Country Road in Lake Grove in the late 60s, just prior to the construction of the Smith Haven Mall. every day on the way home from CCNY, I would have a fish fillet, fries and a drink while waiting for my bus. [5][6], Since 2016 and as of 2022, the Wetson's trademark is owned by National Food Brands Marketing, Inc., of East Norwich, New York.[7]. Lots of copycat burger recipes from fast food to upscale restaurants. Checkers Drive-In Restaurants, Inc. is a chain of double drive-thru restaurants in the United States. Ha d avery good friend who worked in the back of a Wetsons one summer. Unfortunately, McDonalds and Burger King had both grown significantly, with each vying to capture the majority of the New York market. It was on Sunrise Highway and Hook Creek Blvd. Not the greatest memory but certainly vivid. Good evening I worked at the Valley Stream Wetsons Location all through High School. Does anyone else remember it? At times I would be getting a higher rate than some employees that had been there a few years. Hamburgers w/onions & pickles w/fries, oh my. That was the best decade ever! Thank you for sharing that. I used to work at Wetsons (early 60s) in Freeport. Roughly;. Salty as hell. Also one in West Hempstead I believe on front street, across the street from White Castle. Missing Wetsons and fun family memories of the early 70s. Best guy in the world ,, Does anyone know a Gene(Eugene) who worked at the Korvette in Trumbull Ct. back in late 1960s or early 1970s., I just picked up one of these in the box. I remember because I named my dog Wetson. Being from a family of EMT FDNY and the NY POLICE DEPARTMENT you could always find a White Castle. Rax Roast Beef is a regional U.S. fast food restaurant chain specializing in roast beef sandwiches. Today it is the site of Valley Stream Honda Pre Owned. GTOsss. I begged for one for Christmas one year. My mom said be sure to get one for Ginger, but hold the pickle. to bad it no longer exlst . Ahead of its time. I was told there was never a Wetsons there. Locations during short career After Bronx, Norwalk, CT, Lodi, NJ, Queens Blvd and Schenectady, NY ( 1 day visit before resigning). My father would buy my sister and I burgers when he picked us up. Thanks for the memories. Each of us got a burger, small fries and a small coke. Everyone there considered it part of the show and put up with all the tickets. Kings. Then there was Hubie Burger with seeds on their buns. As a high school student, My hands-down favorite candy bar as a little kid. How about Meyers Ice Cream on Jamaica Ave. ? Wow, what memories. Bronx, NY Boston Post Road (demolished) I remember the Brick NJ location on art 70 In front of Bradlees dept store, Great. Now the big chains use mechanical separators and air jet hoses which give you grizzle and worse. @Anonymous. 6 Dee's Drive Inn . He got his hamburger and a server (not me) tried to help him with a plugged ketchup bottle. Does anyone remember the Dublin Pub in New Hyde Park one of my favorite places to go on the weekends as a young adult of 18-21.Yes the memories. & Sunrise Hwy. He wound up spraying ketchup on Lombardos white blazer. Wow!! Check out our wetsons hamburgers selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops. There was one on rt10 in East Hanover and one in Brick, NJ, Rt10 in East Hanover across from Two Guys from Harrison, close to Hanover Park HS. Now it is a Honda dealership. Franklin Square NY Hempstead Turnpike (north side of Route 24) one block West of Franklin Avenue / New Hyde Park Road (demolished in the 70s to build a Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips which is also long gone) Wetsons menu was practically identical to McDonalds, with hamburgers, french fries, drinks and shakes. Do any still exist or have they all been demolished? .15 cent burgers at Wetsons, .12 cent burgers at White Castle(where when my father would drive up.hed roll down the window half wayand the waitress would roller skate up to the car with a tray that hung on the window)they also had a Sabaret hot dog stand that sold .25 dogs(with everything)(close by). The chain was successful and expanded to other cities, including Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Dayton, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore . I retired in 1990. My fiance, who became my wife loved Wetsons. To which I responded, but dad, theyre orange! Wii sure had a lot of fun. i remember wetsons on old country road when it changed to titus oaks nothing was changed it still had the orange rings i used to buy records there also i go to mr cheapos and that same heavy man is there who was at titus oaks. Everybody knows that McDonalds has better flies. Wetson's Hamburger Chain, a familiar site in the area from 1959 until 1975. He lived in Freeport. I remember going to the Bay Shore, Long Island location in 1966 with my mom in her red VW bug. There was a location not listed, in Co-Op City on the junction of Tillotson Ave and Baychester Ave. WETSON'S Status 700 - Registered Status Date 2016-10-25 Filing Date 2014-07-28 Registration Number 5069141 Registration Date 2016-10-25 Mark Drawing 4000 - Standard character mark Typeset Published for Opposition Date 2014-12-23 Attorney Name Pina Campagna Law Office Assigned Location Code L50 Employee Name MCPHERSON RAYBURN, SHA Statements The name Wetson's went into fast-food history forever. I worked at the Freeport Station Wetsons in the early 60s. Thats over 50 years ago and it was always a special treat. The original Valley Stream Wetsons was on Sunrise Highway between Stewart Pl and Astor Pl (now Valley Stream Honda Pre- Owned). Wetsons had Onion rings, and for dessert they had apple pie, that was pretty much apple pie filling, fried in an eggroll casing. Any memories? On my 6th Birthday (1960) my Mom took me and 3 friends to the Syosset Wetsons on a hot July Day. Once married to Margaux Hemingway. Near Shops at the Falls Items Include: Furniture - Oriental rugs - Lamps - Mirrors - Mosaic Italian Inlaid Marble . specially garnished, and served with Tartar Sauce on a tasty hot Bun. I wish that wasnt the case, and hope that if you have any old photos, you consider sharing them with the site. The building youre speaking of was neither a McDonalds or Wetsons. Corner Bakery Cafe (CBC Restaurant Corporation) is an American chain of cafes that specialize in pastries, breads, breakfast dishes, gourmet sandwiches, homemade soups, salads, and pasta. Had a ball working there. Errol who was a POS had married one of the Hemingway daughters, Didnt last long as was expected. The crazy looking bank I heard was from the 64 worlds fair. I thought it looked like a submarine too..I can still picture it in my head..If Im not mistaken Howard Johnsons was right across from it.. That bank branch was originally a Marine Midland Bank (hence the look). The company has been through many iterations, declaring bankruptcy more than once, rising to as many as 504 locations in 38 U.S. states in the 1980s and falling to fewer than 20 locations on more than one occasion. & 33rd Street in Astoria Queens, which then became a full-service Nathans (complete with a game room like the ones in Westbury & Oceanside), then a Roy Rogers, last I knew it was a Burger King. Any memories? Then I got a job at Hicksville location until they closed. Don't forget . The noise drove my dad nuts but my brothers, Mike and Gene, both worked there and had good memories of it. It became a Arthur Treachers now a Taco Bell. We had great mgrs. Simple recipes for homemade grilled, pan-fried, gourmet, smashed, and stuffed burgers. Cheers everyone. Tony Packo's chili dogs Jimmy Emerson, DVM/Flickr I say it was Wetsons. Thanks for this. I was a junior at Stony Brook and lived on campus. My mind is blown. We ate there too often and we looked like we did. Muzak playing over the speakers in the tiny covered customer service area. Miss them days. Garnish as desired and serve immediately. Wetsons was close enough to walk to, and we did. The Hicksville location became a Titus Oaks record store and the building was there for years before it became a Dunkin Donuts. In Glen Cove, NY wasnt on the list! Be Our Guest! The memory lingers in my mind and I think about Wetsons often. To a teen like me, this was heaven. redid it no more orange rings or white tiled exterior. Slo Jacks is still there. The fast food chain existed. If by chance you have photos, I'd love to see them! You forgot the one on Essex St. The burgers tasted like s-it, the shifts were 12 hours long, and the pay was a dollar an our. Initially, the chain and its 15 cent hamburgers were a massive success. My brother and I would each get a couple of hamburgers (they were small) and the hot fries, which were greasy and delicious, and then eat our lunch in the car. Work at Syosset Wetsons from 1969 until it closed (closed while I was in Syosset hospital getting knee surgery) Owner Ray never gave us any indication they were going to close. By todays standards, the burgers probably wouldnt get rave reviews, but when you are starving after a day at the beach, they tasted great. I loved The Place, Broke my heart when they converted to Nathans. FYI> The Texas BBQ place on Junction BLVD in Rego Park, Queens used to have (& may still have) some giant poster sized pics of the Wetson Burger places of old (due to same ownership)..Me also thinks that there may have been one on the Queens side of the Triboro Bridge (now RFK) @ Eastbound service road somewhere (or maybe not)..JMcH. What a disaster. One day the cashier asked if he should put it all in a separate bag. Pine Brook, NJ Route 46 & Hook Mountain Road always a welcome feeling when going their, a treat for me. Don't forget to try our made-to-order sides, like fresh-cut fries and double beer-battered onion rings or our delicious frozen custard desserts. Wetsons at the bayshore Mall was great! My mother wasnt into cooking. Funny now looking back. All" more Over the next decade, Wetsons expanded over much of the Northeast, opening over 70 locations across New Jersey, Connecticut, Staten Island, Brooklyn, and yes, Long Island. Taught teamwork but the manager liked to drink at the bar directly in back of the store. Your missing one. Flipped burgers, mopped floors after they closed. I rember as a child haveing trouble trying to hold the burger and trying to bite in to it , very messy but fun . I remember White Tower in Mineola, and Carols on Hempstead turnpike near a Great Easten Mills near Franklin Square. We use to get great little burgers from a place on the corner across from the school. I can still taste the ketchup, pickles, and onions. I lived one block from that location, on E 59th St. What a rip off. The old take out place stayed open a little while after the sit down restaurant opened where the McDonalds currently is on Rockaway and Sunrise.

How To Build A Mobile Axe Throwing Trailer, Humira Cancer Risk Percentage, Articles W